Skip to main content

Elevators and Conveyances Program 

  Elevator, lift, escalator, and dumbwaiter inspections are provided by Industry Services Division staff and independent certified inspection agencies ( Who does what? - More information on the inspection system ). IS also examines plans, offers consultation, issues certificates of operation, offers education, and monitors those independent inspectors. Elevator inspector credentials are administered by IS.


Administrative Code and Statutes








 Recent News

State of Wisconsin Conveyance Inspection Information
(Excludes the Cities of Milwaukee and Madison)
Effective April 1, 2017

Per SPS 318.1011 Conveyances (elevators, dumbwaiters, Type B material lifts, escalators, vertical and inclined platform lifts and stairway chairlifts) in the State of Wisconsin are required to be inspected at time of installation and after alterations, repairs and replacement of certain components. All conveyances, other than elevators and dumbwaiters that serve single dwelling units are required to be inspected annually. The issuance and renewal of a permit to operate is contingent upon a compliant inspection.

Inspection of new installations and covered alterations, repairs or replacement of components

Per SPS 318.1011(2)(a) these inspections may be performed only by the following:

1. The department. (District 3 John Kastner / District 5 Mark Urban)  

2. A licensed elevator inspector of an inspection provider contracted by the department. (Districts 1, 4 ATIS / District 2 NEIS)

Annual Inspections

Owners may contract with a private inspection company for annual inspections. If an owner does not contract with a private inspection company the inspection will be performed by a licensed elevator inspector of an inspection provider contracted by the department. (Districts 1, 3, 4, 5 ATIS / District 2 NEIS)

Click here for district map and agent assignment.

Click here for a list of Private Conveyance Inspection Companies.



Permit & Invoice Questions? – to update the owner and/or address, to request a replacement permit to operate, or to answer a general invoice inquiry question please email:


 IS Programs Home