Take & pass required examinations.
1) M.D.- take the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) 3-step sequence. Minimum standard passing scores for each step shall be not less than 75. , Effective May 1, 2007 Applicants shall complete all 3 steps within 10 years from the date upon which he or she first passes a step, either step 1 or step 2.
1) D.O.-take examination required for National Board of Osteopathic Medical Examiners Certification.
2) Online open-book examination on the Wisconsin Statutes and Administrative Code. (Required for all applicants who applied for licensure prior to April 1, 2015.)
*Your exam results must be manually posted to your online application checklist. Please allow at least 15 business days from the date you finish your exam for this posting to be completed.
Print out these instructions and read them carefully before beginning the exam. The exam cannot be taken on a Macintosh computer. The passing score is 90%. Additional information can be found in Forms 2147 and 2450 and at the Physician Applications/Forms page.
To Log On:
Go to http://exam.drl.wi.gov
Select: “Test Launching ” from the drop-down menu and click “Start”
Select instructor “gsp” from the drop-down menu.
Enter the test name and password (They are sent to you after you have submitted your application.
Enter your student ID ( your applicant ID number), and your name.
Click “Start Test Session”.
The test is not timed, you may exit and return as often as you like. To exit and return later to the exam, click on the “X” at the upper right corner of the computer screen. Do not click “Done” until you have completed the exam and are ready to submit your exam for scoring.
You can go back and forth to questions and change your answers by clicking the appropriate arrows on each screen. There is only one correct answer for each question.
After you select “Done”, your score is immediately calculated and will automatically be submitted to the Department. Your score will be posted to your online checklist in 15-20 business days. If you have questions about the exam, technical problems and/or click "done" before you are ready to transmit the exam contact DSPSCredentialingCSC@wisconsin.gov.
If you fail the exam (score less than 90%) and must retake the exam, download the retake application HERE and submit it along with a $75.00 retake fee to the Department. You will then be assigned another test.
If you are using a newer version of Internet Explorer and receive an error message, please use the following steps to make your browser compatible with our testing software:
1) Select ‘Tools’ in the menu bar.
2) Select ‘Compatibility View Settings.’
3) Press the ‘Add’ button in the gray window that appears.
4) Close the gray window and refresh your exam page.
The exam content is drawn from applicable state statutes and administrative code chapters specific to the profession. The purpose of the exam is to familiarize yourself with locating the statutes and administrative code that regulate the practice of the profession. Statutes for the State of Wisconsin can be found HERE and the administrative code book for the profession can be found HERE.
The state exam consists of material taken from the following statutes and code chapters:
3) Oral Examination -see Med 1.06 and Med 1.08 for list of applicants required to take an oral exam.
Oral Exam Date Deadline Location
12/16/15 30 Days Prior DSPS
01/20/16 30 Days Prior DSPS
02/17/16 30 Days Prior DSPS
03/16/16 30 Days Prior DSPS
04/20/16 30 Days Prior DSPS
05/18/16 30 Days Prior DSPS
06/15/16 30 Days Prior DSPS
07/20/16 30 Days Prior DSPS
08/17/16 30 Days Prior DSPS
09/21/16 30 Days Prior DSPS
10/19/16 30 Days Prior DSPS
11/16/16 30 Days Prior DSPS
12/21/16 30 Days Prior DSPS
Testing Accommodations Forms
#1907 - Disability Modification Request Form for Examinations
#2349 – Requests for Modification of Examinations for Persons With Disabilities
#2350 – Professional Verification of Request for Modifications