Skip to main content

Renewal Requirements - Cosmetology Manager

Barbering & Cosmetology FAQs: 
Please read the FAQs for information about renewal, continuing education, license transitions, and inactive status: BAC 2015 Renewal FAQs

Renewal Requirements:
- FEE (See Renewal Dates and Fees)
- CLS (Certificate of legal status, included in on-line renewal and paper form)
- SIG  (Signature regarding the completion of Continuing Education, included in on-line renewal and paper form)

See Continuing Education Information for details. 

2015 Renewal Cycle begins February 11.  You may renew online or request paper forms at that time.

Renewal Methods:
- On-line log in here: License Renewal Online
- Request a Paper Renewal Form:  888‑506‑4239 or 608‑261‑4460 for the Madison area

2015 Continuing Education Requirements:

Option 1:

For the 2015 renewal, licensees must complete pre-approved Continuing Education courses (1 credit hour of laws governing the barbering and cosmetology professions and establishments and 3 credit hours of Safety, Sanitation, and Infection Control).  See Continuing Education Information for details. 


Option 2:

Continuing Education (CE) Test-Out Examination

Licensees who have not completed the continuing education requirements may take and pass the continuing education (CE) test-out examination in order to renew their barber, cosmetologist, manicurist, aesthetician, electrologist or manager license.

If a licensee holds more than one type of barber or cosmetology license, such as an instructor license and manager license, the licensee is only required to pass the CE test-out exam once and it will satisfy the requirements for all licenses held by the individual.

Applicants who wish to complete the CE test-out exam shall submit the Application for Barbering and Cosmetology Continuing Education Test-Out Examination (form #2946) along with the examination fee of $75.00 (check or money order made payable to the DSPS or Department of Safety and Professional Services).  To access the application form, click on the link below.

CE Test-out Exam Application

Transition to Barbering Practitioner:
- If you wish to transition the existing license to a Barbering Practitioner License per 2011 Wisconsin Act 190, all Cosmetology renewal requirements must be met to be eligible to transition to the Barbering equivalent.  You can meet the requirements through online renewal or via paper form. 
- If renewing via paper form, you must also submit Form R4000.

- If you transition this license to the barbering equivalent the current cosmetology license will expire and you will be issued a new license upon completion of renewal. 
- If you transition this license to the barbering equivalent the grant date of the Barbering license will be the same as the grant date of current cosmetology license.

 - If you transition this license to the barbering equivalent you will no longer be eligible to practice in the field of Cosmetology in Wisconsin unless you apply for a new license.
 - If you transition this license to the barbering equivalent you are subject to all Wisconsin laws and rules regarding Barbering professions and establishments.

Inactive Status:
- If you do not intend to practice and want your license to be placed on Inactive Status per Wis. Stats 454.06(8m) & 454.23(6), you cannot renew online.  Email our office beginning February 11th to request paper renewal forms: DSPSRenewal@wisconsin.gov .  You will also need to submit Form R454.
- Your license status must be in good standing before being placed on Inactive Status.  If you missed the 2011 renewal, you must have completed the 2011 Continuing Education requirements and pay the $25 late fee before you can be placed on Inactive Status.
- The 2013 renewal fee is prorated to $41 for Inactive Status.

Wisconsin Act 210 (effective June 1, 2012) 

This Act extends the license of a service member if the license expires while they are on active duty from 90 days to 180 days from the date of discharge. The same applies to a spouse of a service member if the spouse does not practice under their license while the service member is on active duty and does not practice because the service member is on active duty.

This Act repeals a provision of prior law that required a service member to meet all of the requirements for license extension or renewal, except for continuing education requirements, in order to have the license extended.

Service members and spouses may request extensions of licenses beyond 180 days from discharge and may request a waiver or extension of time to complete continuing education requirements due to hardship.  Please view Active Duty/Discharge Renewal Extension Form #R210 for further information.