To obtain a Manicurist license by examination:
1. Complete one of the following education requirements:
- Graduate from high school.
- Attain high school graduation equivalency.
- Participate in a program approved by the Department.
- Be at least 18 years of age and meet the ability to benefit rule under 20 USC 1091(d).
2. Complete one of the following training requirements:
- A course of instruction in manicuring of at least 300 training hours in not less than 7 weeks and not more than 20 weeks in a school of cosmetology or a school of manicuring licensed by the Department.
- At least 300 training hours in not less than 7 weeks and not more than 20 weeks under the supervision of a Cosmetology Instructor or Manicuring Instructor licensed by the Department.
3. Pass the examination.
Applicants who have completed all training may be issued a temporary permit to practice for up to 6 months. To apply for a temporary permit and schedule an appointment to take the exam, contact the Department's contracted vendor, DL Roope Administration Inc. by visiting their website at http://www.dlroope.com/wisconsin.cfm?state=10
To obtain a Manicurist license by endorsement:
If you are currently licensed in another state and have completed at least 4,000 hours of licensed practice, you may apply for licensure by endorsement.
To reinstate a Manicurist license:
A person whose license has been expired for more than 5 years is required to pass the current licensing examination (written and practical) to demonstrate minimum competency in services and subjects substantially related to practice and public health and safety.
To request an approval letter to take the examination, please call or send an email to the Department with the following information: your name (prior names if your name has changed), your license number and your current address.
You will be required to submit the reinstatement fee to the Department of Safety & Professional Services after passing the examination.
To renew a Manicurist license:
Click here to see the renewal information page.