Skip to main content

Social Worker Training Certificate - Certification Information

1) Must have completed bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in psychology, sociology, criminal justice, or other human service program approved by the Social Worker Section. Master's degrees will not be considered.

To qualify as “another human service program approved by the Social Worker Section”, the program shall award a bachelor’s degree and be one of the following:

1)  An organized course of study recognized by the Section to contain all five (5) social worker equivalency courses and a course designated as a senior seminar or capstone course.

2)  An organized course of study entitled on the transcript as a human services major including all of the following courses:

a. An introductory course which contains a general overview of the field of human services, including origins, career opportunities and techniques and methods of helping individuals and groups in need.

b. A course with significant content in professional ethics and values, including confidentiality, boundaries and values in human services occupations.

c. A course with content in qualitative and quantitative social research methods and statistics.

d. A course designated as a senior seminar or capstone course.  The capstone course may be an internship with the seminar in which the training certificate applicant is evaluated to have attained the competences specified.

3)  Accredited by an accrediting organization recognized by the Council of Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) for programs awarding bachelor’s degrees with a major in “human services.”

2) Complete and submitApplication for Social Work Training Certificate , including required documentation and fees.

3) Department reviews the application and required documents, to determine eligibility for certificate.

4) Grant certificate. Upon issuance of the SWTC, the applicant may start the basic level application process (for required forms and information).

5) Candidate completes coursework and training.

Required Social Worker Degree Equivalency: Social worker degree equivalency courses must consist of at least three semester hours or four quarter hours and be successfully completed with a minimum of a C grade.  Courses shall be taught by an instructor who holds a master’s degree or a PhD in social work from an institution accredited by the Council on Social Work Education unless otherwise approved by the Section.  The courses shall use a textbook written by a social work educator for the social work courses as a primary text unless approved by the Section.  At least three (3) of the courses shall be taken at the same institution.  Social worker degree equivalency is demonstrated by completing five (5) courses in each of the following subject areas:

a. Social welfare policy and services.

b. Social work practice methods with individuals.

c. Social work practice methods with groups and families.

d. Social work practice methods with communities, organizations, and social institutions.

e. Human behavior in the social environment, including human growth and development and social systems theory.

For more specific information pertaining to the required coursework, see MPSW 3.13 (2), Wis. Admin.Code

Required Internship/Employment:  Complete one of the following:

a. A 400 hour human services internship that was part of the program leading to the degree or completed while holding the training certificate.  The internship shall involve direct practice with clients and  be supervised by a social worker certified under Chapter 457, Wis. Stats, who has a bachelor's or master's degree in social work. A human services internship shall be under the auspices of an accredited college or university

b. One year of social work employment, completed while holding the social work training certificate, which involves at least 400 hours of face-to-face client contact in not less than 12 months.  The employment shall be supervised by a social worker certified under Chapter 457, Wis. Stats, who has a bachelor's or master's degree in social work.

6) Candidate must pass required examinations at any time either before or after completing the coursework and training to be eligible for a social worker certificate.

Application Process