Safety and Buildings Division Home Page
SERVE THE STATE OF WISCONSIN
of Safety and Professional Services is taking applications from
individuals interested in serving on one of our advisory councils which
provide input to the department on issues and rules relating to various
professions and programs.
Please visit our Appointments
Page for more information.
ATTENTION ALL PLAN SUBMITTERS
Change in plan submittal process related to
fee payments made by check.
For more information, click here
. The new payment
voucher is available within the plan application forms and as a PDF file
ATTENTION ALL REFRIGERANT HANDLING
2011 Wisconsin Act 146 Section 34 repealed
Wis. Stat. §
101.177 effective May 4, 2012. Accordingly,
the Department of Safety and Professional Services no longer has the
to regulate the duties of a refrigerant handling technician. If you have this certification, it will
become void after May 4.
Please be aware that ozone-depleting
refrigerants are still
regulated by the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources for the
salvage of refrigeration or air-conditioning equipment and the
Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection for those who
vehicle air conditioners and refrigerated transport vehicles. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency also
has applicable regulations in this area pertaining to refrigerant
distribution and reclamation.
The DSPS Credentialing and Manufactured Homes
now in the Division of Professional Credential Processing
Homes - All information related to titling and licensing for
Administrative Codes Names and Numbers Changed
Administrative Codes formerly under the Department of Regulation and
Licensing (RL) and the Department of Commerce (Comm) now all use the
SPS designation for the Department of Safety and Professional Services.
For the former RL codes, the prefix changed, but the numbers will
remain the same. For example, RL 2 became SPS 2. For the former Comm
codes, the prefix changed and the numbers were increased by 300. For
example, Comm 5 became SPS 305. Comm 2 became SPS 302. Please
note that there are many documents attached to this WebSite and on
printed materials which have the old code numbers. These code numbers
are being updated, but completion will take some time.
|Dwellings in Wisconsin need smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms.
|Change in which types of fire
protection systems in Wisconsin need plan review. More Info.
Current code change activities
- Changes to SPS 341, Boiler and
Pressure Vessel Code became effective June 1, 2012. See all the SPS 341 code development project
- There was a public hearing on proposed changes to
SPS 333, Passenger Ropeways Code,
on Tuesday, February 28, 2012, at 10 a.m. in room 121C, 1400 East
Washington Ave, Madison Wisconsin. See hearing announcement and draft
proposed code language at code
- There was a public hearing on repealing
credentialing rules related to thermal insulators on
Monday, February 13, 2012, at 10 a.m. at 1400 East Washington Ave. in
Madison, Wisconsin. See code
development project documents.
- Proposals for general update changes in SPS 305, Licenses,
Certifications, and Registrations Code, have been adopted
and will in general be effective January 1, 2012. Section 25 or the
adopted draft, dealing with elimination of the Electrical Contractor -
Resticted Certification, has a delayed effective date of April 1, 2013.
Sections 30 and 31 of the adopted draft, dealing with qualfications to
take the Automatic Fire Sprinkler Tester Registration exam, has a
delayed effective date of January 1, 2013. See code development project
- Proposed changes to SPS 381-384 related to inventory and
maintenance of private sewage systems were sent to the
legislature on August 15, 2011, for asssigment for committee review. See code change project documents.
- A Statement of Scope, PDF
file, has been issued for a possible general update of the Wisconsin Commercial
Building Code, SPS 361-366. The
statement was published in the Wisconsin Administrative Register on July 1, 2011.
- A Statement of Scope, PDF
file, has been issued for a possible code development project
updating SPS 390, Public Swimming Pools Code. The
statement was published in the Wisconsin Administrative Register in
- A Statement of Scope, PDF
file, has been issued for a code
development project updating SPS 330, Fire Department
Safety and Health, and SPS 332, Public Employee Safety and Health.
The statement was in the Wisconsin Administrative Register at the end
of February, 2011.
- S&B staff have issued a Statement of Scope, PDF file, for a possible code development project updating
SPS 316, Electrical Code. The statement was published in the
Wisconsin Administrative Register at the end of February, 2011.
- A Scope Statement has been issued related to
possible code development
concerning a general update to SPS 320-325, Uniform Dwelling
Email Technical Questions
- Building and Plumbings Products: DspsSbProducTech@wi.gov
- Boilers and Pressure Vessels: DspsSbBoilertech@wi.gov
- Commercial Buildings, Comm 60-66: DspsSbBuildingTech@wi.gov
- Cross Connection Control Assemblies: DspsSbCrossConnections@wi.gov
- Credentials (licenses, certifications, registrations): DspsSbCredentialing@wi.gov
- Electrical: DspsSbElectricTech@wi.gov
- Elevators: DspsSbElevatorTech@wi.gov
- Fire Protection Systems: DspsSbFireProTech@wi.gov
- Gas Systems: DspsSbBoilertech@wi.gov
- General and Emergency Lighting Plan Review: DspsSbEmergencyLighting@wi.gov
- Manufactured / Mobile Homes: DspsSbManfHomes@wi.gov
- Material Orders: DspsSbMaterialOrders@wi.gov
- One- and Two-Family Dwellings: DspsSbUdcTech@wi.gov
- Permits to Operate, Invoices: DspsSbInspectionSupport@wi.gov
- Plan review submittals, scheduling: DspsSbPlanSchedule@wi.gov
- Plumbing, Cross Connection: DspsSbPlbgTech@wi.gov
- Product Evaluations (plumbing, POWTS): DspsSbProductTech@wi.gov
- Private Onsite Wastewater Treatment: DspsSbPowtsTech@wi.gov
- Public Sector Safety: DspsSbHealthAndSafetyTech@wi.gov
- Public Swimming Pools: DspsSbPoolTech@wi.gov
- Rental Weatherization: DspsSbRwpTech@wi.gov
|| State Portal
The Department of Safety and Professional Services Safety and Buildings
Division is an equal opportunity service provider and employer. If you
need assistance to access services or need material in an alternate
format, please contact us, 608-266-3151, TDD Relay dial 711 in
Wisconsin or 800-947-3529.