Lastname, Firstname 2004-06-22 2004-06-22 2005-06-30 Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services, Division of Safety and Buildings Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services, Division of Safety and Buildings, Commerce, Safety and Buildings, Comm, Credentials, Certifications, Buildings Codes, Registrations, Construction, Public Safety, Licenses, Permits, License application forms, Trades, Administrative codes, Regulations, Statutes, Administrative rules, Cities, City, Towns, County, Counties, Municipal, Ordinances, Hygiene, Hazardous, Diseases, Design, Engineering, Continuing education, Audits, Grants, POWTS, Private wastewater treatment systems, Septic field, Septic tanks, Sewage treatment, Sewage disposal, Accessibility, Accessible, Disability, Disabilities, Clean air, Clean water, Air quality, Public sector employees, Applications, Plan review, State, Bureau of Program Development, Bureau of Field Operations, Bureau of Integrated Services, Environmental assessments, Environmental impact statement, Soil erosion, Drinking water, Appliances, Plumbing Products, Fire prevention and protection, Firefighter safety, Fire Sprinklers, Rental unit energy efficiency, Rental weatherization, Commercial buildings, Forms, Publications, Plumbing, Inspection, Inspectors, Consultants, Waste disposal, Historic buildings, Occupational and industrial safety, Occupational health, One and two family dwellings, Houses, Housing, Homes, Multifamily dwellings, Mine Safety, Mining, Mines, Open pits, Quarries, Blasters, Plumbers, Electricians, Boilers, Wastewater, Elevators, Lighting, Energy, Mobile homes, Manufactured homes, Welding, Structural systems, Gas systems, HVAC, Refrigeration, Public swimming pools, Wisconsin Fund, Explosives, Amusement rides and attractions, Tramways lifts and tows, Government facts figures and statistics Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services, Division of Safety and Buildings, Commerce, Safety and Buildings, Building, Wisconsin, Safety, Construction, License. Safety and Buildings Safety and Buildings Division - articles from the July 2003 Wisconsin Construction Codes Report You can scroll down or select the number of an article title that interests you:
1. A mother asks you to help prevent a scalding like that which tortures her son;
2. Two division bureaus merged into one;
3. S&B at Farm Technology Days;
4. Commercial Buildings Q&A on the WebSite - Recent Topics;
5. Employment - Housing Inspector - City of Kenosha;
6. Janice Schulz and Tiffeny Thompson;
7. Plan reviewer Olson retired;
8. Beckwith joins S&B;
9. Electrical Q&A;
10. Wisconsin Commercial Building Code training;
11. What's new in the plumbing code? Health care hot water supply requirements;
12. An extended discussion of Wisconsin's One- and Two-Family Dwelling Code (Uniform Dwelling Code);
13. Hose bibb handles, labeling, potable water - Q&A on the May 1 plumbing code changes;
14. Fax or email code questions;
15. You will find the 2003 S&B credential exam schedule on the Internet;
16. Delegated agents;
17. Check the status of a credential;
18. S&B Codes on the Internet;
19. Q&A about the Wisconsin Commercial Buildings Code;
20. Plumbing Information database;
21. Contact info for plan review;
22. Paper subscription for the WCCR.
  1. A mother asks you to help prevent a scalding like that which tortures her son
by Hilary Bilbrey, Stevens Point
Laying on the hospital gurney, cradling my 21-month-old, I sang our favorite lullaby, "Gentle Breeze," through tears. I tried to wish away the moment, but his screams and cries of, "Mama hurts, mama hurts," kept me firmly in the heartbreaking reality. This is happening…and it's happening to my baby. All the wishing and singing could not ease his pain. On April 6, after returning home from a walk, I received a frantic call from my husband. "Where are you guys?," I asked. He was in the ER. Our son had been badly burned in the tub. My initial thought, before I reached the hospital, was that it couldn't be too bad. Like some other concerned parents moving into a newly constructed home, we made sure to have our son's tub installed with a device to prevent him from turning the water on too hot. We also had asked to have our water temperature set appropriately. Seeing our son in the hospital, I knew something had gone horribly wrong. He was suffering from near third degree burns from the knees down, with some splatters on his thighs. His feet were barely recognizable. Our little baby was pumped full of morphine in order to bear the pain. He looked from me to my husband, waiting for us to fix it, but we couldn't. We made a torturous two-hour trip down to the University of Wisconsin Burn Unit, arriving just past 11 p.m. Every bump in the road made him scream out in pain. As the doctors cleaned and dressed his wounds, I heard the story of what happened. In the time it normally takes for our son to go upstairs, get his blanket, and come back down, my husband heard screams. Rushing up the stairs with our one-week-old in his arms, my husband found our son sitting in our master bath whirlpool tub, crying frantically as the skin pealed away from his legs and feet. His diapers and overalls provided some insulation for the rest of his body, but his feet were horribly damaged. After three weeks in the hospital and skin grafts, our son was allowed to come back home. We will be making the drive to the hospital several times this year and possibly the next. After that we will be making annual visits to check his progress until his 18th birthday. He will wear compression socks all this year. We do physical therapy three times a day to maintain flexibility in the scar tissue. He will have to have more surgery as he grows, to release the pressure in the scar tissue. The time it took for this accident to happen? Less than 10 seconds. It was discovered that our water temperature was set at 135 degrees Fahrenheit, which can cause third degree burns for a child in 10 seconds. At 126 degrees, third degree burns can occur in under two minutes. In Wisconsin, all water heaters must be set by the manufacturer at or below 125 degrees Fahrenheit. It is best if temperatures are set at 110 when there are small children in the house. States have varying statutes dictating who has responsibility for checking water temperatures in new construction (and also in rentals). And, even though the responsibility does fall on the parents to double check, our temperature could have been checked by the plumber, contractor, or building inspector. They could have helped us. If I, or someone, had checked and considered, my son could have been spared months, maybe years of pain. No little child should have to go through the agony our son did. I will never be able to erase the fear and pain I saw in his eyes and his pleas for me to fix it, "Mama hurts, mama hurts!" So, please, at the very least, check your water temperature with a digital kitchen thermometer, which can be found at your local hardware store or department store. It is my belief that we are all responsible for the safety and well-being of our children. Please learn from our experience and help spare other children the trauma that our little one went through by informing others and checking the thermostats you deal with. Editor's note: In Wisconsin, state law says manufacturers of hot water heaters meant for use in dwellings must set the temperature no higher than 125 degrees F. Also, landlords must set thermostats no higher than 125 degrees before a new tenant occupies a premise, or at the minimum low temperature. A 1999 article about water heater settings, safety, and plumbing professionals can be seen on the S&B WebSite, or a paper copy is available from Todd Taylor, 608-267-3606. Choose this image to go back to the top.   2. Two division bureaus merged into one The functions and staff of the Safety and Buildings Division Bureau of Field Operations have merged into the Bureau of Integrated Services. The BIS will contain all of the inspection sections of the former BFO. BFO Inspection Support is now part of the Customer Service Center within the Integrated Services Bureau. Randy Baldwin continues as the Integrated Services Bureau Director. Dan Graham, former BFO Director, is now Section Chief of the Electrical and Elevator Inspection Section of BIS. The number and location of S&B offices is not affected by this reorganization. Also, individual inspection staff territories, phone numbers, etc., remain the same. The consolidation is expected to provide more efficient use of S&B resources, better coordination and consistency in policy implementation, and increased productivity, according to Division Administrator Kimberly Walker. The Bureau of Program Development continues to lead planning, policy development and initial policy implementation, as well as independent auditing of plan review and inspection services of the division and its delegated agents.   3. S&B at Farm Technology Days!
July 15 - 17, several Safety and Buildings Division staff will be at Farm Technology Days in Clark County. There will be plumbing staff with presentations on backflow protection and water reuse. POWTS staff will provide a soil pit for attendees to learn more about soil profiles and various onsite systems.
  4. Commercial Buildings Q&A on the WebSite - Recent Topics
Q&A's on the Wisconsin Commercial Buildings Code sections noted below have recently been added to
-Comm 61.03(6) & (7) Addition to a building
-Comm 62.0903(2) Common use areas
-IBC 506.22 Fire lanes
-IBC Table 910.3 Minimum curtain board depth
-IBC 1004.2.3 Egress
Choose this image to go back to the top.   5. Employment - Housing Inspector - City of Kenosha
Enforces city's property maintenance codes, ordinances and laws. Investigates complaints on existing residential and commercial properties, conducts property inspections. Prepares orders, reports and correspondence. Possession of an Bachelors Degree in public health, construction or related field supplemented by one year experience in environmental sanitation, housing code enforcement; or an equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. AACE or BOCA certification a plus. Kenosha County residency is required within 3 months of completion of probationary period. $37,800 - $47,256/ annual salary range Apply at City of Kenosha Personnel Department - Room 205, Municipal Building, 625 52nd Street, Kenosha. Applications accepted until the needs of the city have been met. EEO M/F/D
This is a photo of Janice Schulz and Tiffeny Thompson.
  6. Janice Schulz and Tiffeny Thompson, Program Assistants, have received promotions for their work in the Inspection Support Unit, which has become part of the Customer Service Center of the Bureau of Integrated Services.
  7. Plan reviewer Olson retired
Safety and Buildings Division commercial buildings plan reviewer Rick Olson, a resident of rural Marshall, in May retired from service with the state. Olson spent almost 25 years reviewing building plans and also had a short stint as a boiler safety specialist.
Choose this image to go back to the top. This is a photo of Matt Beckwith.   8. Beckwith joins S&B Matt Beckwith has joined the Safety and Buildings Division as staff executive assistant to the division managers. He transferred to the division from the Department of Employment Relations, as a replacement for Violet Lehman, who retired.   9. Electrical Q&A
Based on the 2002 National Electrical Code. For info, contact one of the S&B Electrical Consultants.
Q. When we install NM cable in a sleeve, how do I calculate the fill area of the cable within the raceway?
A. Note 9 to the Tables of Chapter 9 of the NEC is quite explicit on the means for calculating the cross sectional area and fill factor for multiconductor cables. Where the cables are not round, the largest or major diameter of the cable shall be used to make the area calculation.
Q. Is bonding required around concentric and eccentric knockouts in metal enclosures when using metal raceways?
A. The answer is "Yes," when the raceway contains service conductors or circuit conductors of a system that has a voltage to ground greater than 250 volts. Section 250.92(B) refers to the use of bonding jumpers around concentric or eccentric knockouts at the service. Section 250.92(B) is titled "Method of Bonding at Services," but is referred to by 250.97 for use in determining bonding methods for other than service conductors. This reference is a requirement for bonding jumpers to be used around concentric and eccentric knockouts in boxes and other enclosures for systems over 250 volts to ground.
Q. Are there plastic raceways that are suitable for use in ducts or plenums? What about other space for environmental air?
A. There are no non-metallic raceways for electric conductors approved for plenum use at this time. There is a non-metallic raceway approved for other space used for environmental air. It is for fiber-optic cable only.
10. Wisconsin Commercial Building Code Certification Training Choose this image to go back to the top.   11. What's new in the plumbing code? Health care hot water supply requirements
by Lynita Docken, Plumbing Program Manager,, 608-785-9349
Comm 82.50, Health Care and Related Facilities, was substantially changed in the revisions that were effective May 1, 2003. Questions concerning hospital projects soon followed. The code requirements for hospitals, nursing homes, CBRFs (community-based residential facilities), and inpatient hospice hot water supplies allow three options:
1. Water is stored and circulated at 140 degree F minimum, and returned to the heater at a minimum of 124 degrees F.
2. Water is chlorinated to maintain a two mg/L residual.
3. The water is treated by another form of disinfection approved by the Safety and Buildings Division (To discuss this option, you can contact S&B Plumbing Products Reviewer Glen Schlueter,, 608-267-1401.)
Most of the recent questions I've heard about hot water supplies are similar to this one: "When additions are proposed for an existing hospital, is it necessary to heat or chemically treat the hospital's entire hot water supply?" The answer is, "No, only the addition or remodeled portion of the building is required to comply with the May 1 code requirements." That could mean any of the following alternatives:
-Adding a booster heater at the point the remodeling or addition begins;
-Adding a liquid chlorine injection system;
-Adding an ultraviolet light;
-Developing a periodic maintenance plan for heat eradication; or
-The answer may be as simple as contacting the water purveyor to ascertain whether the residual chlorine in the public water supply is at or above two mg/L.
If you have questions regarding plumbing in health care facilities, contact one of the plumbing plan reviewers. Choose this image to go back to the top.   12. An extended discussion of Wisconsin's One- and Two-Family Dwelling Code (Uniform Dwelling Code) The statewide Wisconsin code for "newer" homes is the Uniform Dwelling Code (UDC), Comm 20-25 of the Wisconsin Administrative Code, and adopted references. "Uniform" means municipalities may not adopt a more or less stringent code. The UDC is principally enforced by municipal building inspection departments. There are some communities of 2,500 or fewer residents that by choice do not enforce the code. There are other communities of that size in which private inspection agencies or county governments have enforcement authority. The Safety and Buildings Division of the state Department of Safety and Professional Services administers the UDC through code development, code interpretations, special investigations, inspector training and certification, processing of petitions for variance, and monitoring manufactured dwelling firms. The UDC sets uniform standards for fire safety; structural strength; energy conservation; erosion control; heating, plumbing and electrical systems; and general health and safety in "new" dwellings. Q. What buildings are regulated by the UDC?
A. Basically it covers one- and two-family dwellings built since June 1, 1980, and their additions and alterations. This includes:
- Seasonal and recreational dwellings (electrical, heating, or plumbing systems are not required, but if installed they must comply with the applicable codes. If a home is heated, then it must be insulated. Local sanitary requirements may require certain plumbing systems.)
- One- and two-family condominium buildings.
- A single-family residence connected to a commercial occupancy.
- Community-based residential facilities with up to eight residents (actually is a commercial building).
- Manufactured, modular, or panelized dwellings regulated by the state (but not mobile or manufactured homes regulated by the federal government).
- Additions to mobile or manufactured homes produced after June 1, 1980.
-A non-residential building, such as a barn, that is converted to a dwelling.
Q. What structures are not regulated by the UDC?
A. The following are not covered:
- Dwellings built before June 1, 1980, or additions and alterations to such dwellings.
- Mobile (manufactured) homes which are subject to federal standards.
- Multi-unit (three or more) residential buildings which are regulated by the state Commercial Building Code.
- Detached garages or accessory buildings.
Q. What about homes built before June 1, 1980?
A. The state does not have a construction or heating code for older homes, additions thereto, or any accessory structures or outbuildings.
For construction and heating standards for older homes, municipalities may adopt any or no code. Many use the UDC. Some municipalities in the southeastern part of the state use the Wisconsin Uniform Building Code, which is a locally- developed code that pre-dates the UDC and is not a state code. Q. How is the UDC enforced?
A. The UDC is principally enforced by municipal or county building inspectors who must be state-certified. They check for code compliance while construction is open for inspection. Municipalities of less than 2,500 population have the option of whether or not to enforce the code or to have the state provide enforcement. To deter-mine what enforcement is in place, see links on S&B One- and Two-Family Program Web page, http://www. In any case, state statutes require compliance with the UDC rules by owners and builders, even where there is no local enforcement.
Q. What happens in municipalities without enforcement?
A. If the municipality decides to have no enforcement of the UDC, there will just be the issuance of an administrative building permit, but no review of plans or inspection of construction. However, there are private sewage system requirements, and there may be erosion control and zoning requirements. These are typically administered by the county. If you are building in a no-enforcement municipality and desire building inspection services, see the S&B WebSite for certified agencies or individual inspectors whom you may privately contract to monitor construction,
Q. Who may work on a UDC home?
A. - Anyone may design the home, other than for homes in a floodplain.
- The construction and erosion control permits must be taken out by a state-certified contractor or by the owner who occupies the home currently or after completion. Note that the process for S&B "Dwelling Contractor Financial Responsibility" certification checks for general liability insurance only - it does not judge the technical competency of the builder.
- The plumbing work must be supervised by a master plumber and installed by licensed plumbers. (Only after the dwelling is occupied may an owner install additional plumbing beyond the prerequisite kitchen sink and full bathroom, unless prohibited by municipal ordinance.)
- All heating contractors must be state-registered. Owners working on their own property are exempted.
- Municipalities may have additional licensing requirements for some contractors, as well as bonding or insurance requirements.
Q. What if I desire a design not in the code?
A. If you wish an alternative design compared to a particular code provision, then you may pursue a Petition for Variance from S&B.
Q. If I have further questions, who should I contact?
A. The UDC is a locally enforced code, so contact the local municipal officials where the home will be built.
Otherwise you may email a S&B code consultant,, or contact Leroy Stublaski, S&B Code Consultant, 608-267-5113. Choose this image to go back to the top.   13. Hose bibb handles, labeling, potable water - Q&A on the May 1 plumbing code changes Question: When do the requirements for "removable key" handles (Comm 82.41(3)(d)1.h) apply?
Answer: The removable key handle is required when nonpotable water is dispensed from a hose bibb. A fire hydrant is not defined as a hose bibb, but other outlets where hoses can be attached are included in the ASSE dictionary definition. Where potable water is dispensed, the removable key is not required. In other words, while every exterior hydrant in Wisconsin has the risk of becoming nonpotable, if it is not designed to dispense anything other than potable water a removable key handle is not required. Removable key handles are only required on those hydrants which are designed to dispense nonpotable water.
Question: What are the requirements for labeling water piping that might contain water unsafe for drinking?
Answer: The plumbing code requires that nonpotable systems are labeled "nonpotable." Potable water systems downstream of backflow preventers have the potential to become contaminated. At the same time, potable water doesn't become "nonpotable" when it travels through a backflow prevention device or assembly, and is not required to be labeled. However, the potable water downstream of a backflow prevention device or assembly is at risk and could be labeled, for example, "Production H2O;" "Unsafe H2O;" "Dialysis H2O;" "Process H2O;" "Makeup H2O." An example of a pipe label: "Treated H2O, Do Not Drink, Table 82.70-1, 9, 5/1/03"
Question: What parts of a piping system must comply with the Wisconsin Uniform Plumbing Code?
Answer: What was considered plumbing before the May 1, 2003 code change is still considered plumbing. The supply system serving and the wastewater system from fixtures listed in Tables 82.30-1, 82.40-1 or 82.40-2 are still considered plumbing.
Example 1: Graywater is collected and treated for water closet and toilet flushing. The entire potable water supply, drain and vent graywater system, nonpotable water supply, and drain and vent blackwater system are part of the plumbing system and must comply with the Uniform Plumbing Code. Example 2: Potable water is supplied to a backflow prevention assembly and then to the boiler. After the backflow prevention assembly connecting to the fixture supply, the Uniform Plumbing Code would not apply. Example3: Stormwater runoff from a parking lot is collected in a detention pond and is used to water the lawn. If no piping is included in this type of collection system, the Uniform Plumbing Code does not apply. The plumbing code does not apply to a turf irrigation system or the pond serving this system. Example 4: Stormwater collected through the roof drain system or gutters and downspouts is stored in a tank inside the building, an exterior cistern, or a pond, and then treated and used for flushing water closets. In this situation the entire storm water collection (with the exception of gutters and downspouts), plumbing treatment system, nonpotable supply system, and blackwater drain and vent system are under the Uniform Plumbing Code.
Question: In the exemption for insulation (Comm 82.30(11)(c)2.e), what's considered "summer use?"
Answer: Since this insulation requirement addresses the exemption from frost protection, the risk of frost affecting buried piping is the issue. Based on this fact, the determination would be made on a regional basis. The northern parts of Wisconsin can consider summer use to be from Memorial Day to October 1, while the Milwaukee or Janesville area might extend summer from April 15 to November 15.
For more information, contact a plumbing plan reviewer. Choose this image to go back to the top.   14. Fax or email technical code questions;
- Commercial buildings, Comm 61-65 ,608-283-7402,
- Fire protection systems , 608-283-7405,
- Plumbing, cross connection, 608-283-7403,
- Private onsite wastewater treatment, 608-283-7404,
- Public swimming pools, 608-283-7406,
- Building and plumbing products, 608-283-7407,
- Licenses, certifications, registrations, 608-283-7400,
- Manufactured/mobile homes, 608-283-7401,
- One- and Two-family Dwelling Code, no fax,
15. You will find the 2003 S&B credential exam schedule on the Internet: Choose this image to go back to the top. 16. Delegated Agents: Some municipalities in Wisconsin have authority to do building plan review, inspections, and otherwise carry out code-related functions as delegates of the Department of Safety and Professional Services. For information and a list of current delegated municipalities, see the S&B WebSite, CertifiedMunicipalities.html. 17. You may check the status of a credential on the S&B WebSite,
Note that a credential that was renewed late does not show up in the search. A computer program needs to be revised to accommodate late renewals.
18. Safety and Buildings-related codes are on the Internet, Not all codes are available electronically. Paper copies may be purchased from Document Sales, 800-362-7253, for credit card purchases, or 608-266-3358.
19. Q&A about the Wisconsin Commercial Buildings Code is on the S&B WebSite: 20. Plumbing information database on the Internet
  21. Contact information for plan review
To schedule an appointment (commercial/multifamily buildings or plumbing):
+S&B WebSite:
+FAX: 24 hr. toll-free number for appointment scheduling, 877-840-9172
For plan review application forms:
+On the S&B WebSite (choose "Forms" on left of screen):
+Call any of the offices.
Info about next available review appointment:
+ DivDailyDoc.html
Info about status of plan review:
Choose this image to go back to the top.   22. Paper subscription for the WCCR ____   Yes, I wish a subscription for mail delivery of a year's Wisconsin Construction Codes Report, paper edition. This offer begins with the July, 2003 edition. WCCR One year for $20. Name ________________________________________ Address ______________________________________ City, State, Zip _________________________________ Fiscal code 8035. Personal information you provide may be used for secondary purposes [Privacy Law, s. 1504(1)(m)] Mail check for $20 to:
Safety and Buildings Division
Audrey Fries
PO Box 2689
Madison WI 53701
Links -- County Web sites || City/Town/Village Web sites || State Portal || Licensing and Permitting || Build Your Business Email this page's manager, Todd Taylor, or 608-267-3606 The Department of Safety and Professional Services Safety and Buildings Division is an equal opportunity service provider and employer. If you need assistance to access services or need material in an alternate format, please contact us, 608-266-3151, TTY 608-264-8777, or