Now Live for Trades Credentials and Renewals!
All initial, reinstatement, and renewal applications for a Trades credential must now be made through
LicensE, your online, self-guided licensing platform.
- To apply for a license or renew your license, go to license.wi.gov.
- For those renewing in LicensE for the first time or looking for more information about LicensE, including exams, refer to the “Trades LicensE Information" document.
- Please review the
LicensE Applicant User Guide for help.
- If you are having trouble with anything, please submit a support ticket at this link. Please provide complete contact information and a detailed description of the issue you are experiencing.
Per Wis. Admin. Code § SPS 305.41, pursuant to Wis. Stat. §101.862, no person or entity may engage in the business or offer to engage in the business of installing, repairing, or maintaining electrical wiring unless the person or entity holds a license or certification issued by the Department as a licensed Electrical Contractor, except as provided under Wis. Stat. § 101.862(4).
A person who is licensed as an Electrical Contractor shall be responsible for all of the following:
- A licensed Electrical Contractor shall utilize the appropriately licensed or registered individuals to construct, install, repair or maintain electrical wiring.
- For any electrical installation that requires a uniform building permit under Wis. Admin. Code § SPS 320.08 a person who holds an electrical contractor license may not commence installation of electrical wiring until a permit is issued for the installation.
Note: Wis. Admin. Code §§ SPS 320-325 applies to one- and 2-family dwellings and manufactured dwellings. The Department's uniform building permit is issued either by the municipality in which the dwelling is located or by a UDC inspection agency where the municipality does not administer the Uniform Dwelling Code.
- A person or entity that holds an Electrical Contractor license shall include his or her license number on all construction bids and contracts.
|Electrical Contractor License Application Information
|Trades LicensE Information