File A Complaint


Online - File your Complaint here. 

To assist you with selecting the proper complaint category (Business, Health, Trades) please refer to the DSPS A-Z Professions List under the column “Type".  Note: If you're filing a complaint regarding the “Type" Unarmed Combat Sports, you should select the complaint type as Business.

Mail - If you cannot complete your complaint online, print and complete the Complaint Form and mail it to the following address:

​Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services​
Division of Legal Services and Compliance 
P.O. Box 7190 
​Madison, WI 53707-7190


The Division of Legal Services and Compliance (DLSC) provides compliance services for the agency’s boards and direct-licensed professions. DLSC is staffed with attorneys, investigators and other legal staff to address complaints promptly and appropriately.  If a complaint is made with sufficient evidentiary support to suggest that a credential holder is in violation of a relevant condition or rule related to their profession the Division may investigate and, if necessary, file a disciplinary action against the credential holder.  The purposes of discipline are to protect the public, rehabilitate the credential holder and to deter other credential holders.  Disciplinary action is then monitored for compliance by DLSC's Monitoring Unit.

The links in the Additional Resources section provide directions for making a complaint as well as a page that describes the Department’s case handling process.  If a complaint is opened for investigation the case may take in excess of a year to reach a conclusion.  This span of time is required to screen, investigate, and if appropriate, prosecute the approximately 3,000 complaints the department receives each year.

In some circumstances the Department may not have the authority or requisite legal basis to investigate a complaint.  Any complaint falling within the jurisdiction of another agency will be referred to that agency for further action.  Alternative options to filing a complaint are briefly described below.​


One of the alternatives available to the consumer might seem quite obvious, but is often overlooked. Credentialed professionals are also business people. Most are sensitive to complaints that patients, clients, or customers might have about their services. It is natural to feel some reluctance to approach the credential holder or his or her supervisor with a complaint; however, if the complaint is one that can be resolved by some action by the credential holder, this might be the most efficient course of action to follow.

Any individual in Wisconsin may sue in Small Claims Court. If the complaint is of a financial nature, this may be an alternative to consider. Further information about Small Claims Court can be obtained directly from the Clerk of Courts in each county.

A surety bond is an agreement by a person or company to guarantee the proper performance of a duty by some other person, and to back up that guarantee with a specific amount of money. Credential holders who are required to have a surety bond or a liability insurance policy filed with the Department of Safety and Professional Services include the following: private detectives and private detective agencies; private schools and specialty schools of barbering and cosmetology, aesthetics, manicuring, and electrology; professional fund-raisers and some fund-raising counsels. If the complaint involves one of the above credential holders, the consumer may call the Department of Safety and Professional Services and ask to talk with the administrative staff person who is assigned to work with credential holders of that profession. The staff person can provide the name of the surety responsible for guaranteeing the performance of the credential holder, or the name of the insurance company which insures the credential holder against loss or damage claims. If a credential holder is required to have a surety bond or liability insurance, consumers may be able to make a claim for money and/or contractual damages from the company covering the credential holder or his or her company. The consumer should consider retaining an attorney for assistance.

The consumer always has the option of retaining an attorney for the purpose of bringing a personal injury lawsuit or other legal action against a credential holder. In many of these circumstances, an attorney might not charge a fee for the initial consultation, which is the meeting at which the attorney will talk with the consumer to determine whether to represent the consumer and initiate legal action. Many personal injury lawsuits are accepted by attorneys on a "contingency basis," which means that if the consumer wins the lawsuit the attorney earns a certain percentage of the damages awarded. If the consumer loses, the consumer does not generally owe any legal fees but may be responsible for some costs associated with the case. All attorneys have their own policies about their particular practice, and it is essential that the consumer obtain information in this regard from the attorney the consumer contacts.

Many credential holders belong to local or state-wide professional associations or societies. Included among these organizations are medical societies, boards of realtors, dental associations and societies, pharmacy associations, and other professional groups. Many of these organizations have a mechanism for attempting to resolve complaints by consumers against their members. Many of the professional organizations are listed with the profession on this site or can be located elsewhere online. Please note that not all members of a profession are members of these organizations, and the organizations do not have the authority to take disciplinary action against a member of the organization.

If you obtained professional services from a licensee, such as a medical doctor, dentist or other health care provider who was paid in full or in part by your insurance company, your insurer should have a process for resolving complaints against the provider especially if the complaint is related to billing. Call the customer service phone number on your insurance card and ask how to make a complaint against your provider.

If you are a Medicare or Medicaid recipient you can contact those agencies with complaints against providers or with allegations of fraud. The Wisconsin Department of Health Services handles complaints against a number of health care facilities, such as hospitals and nursing homes, and also against non-credentialed health care providers such as nurses aids and home health aids and many others. If you think your provider may have committed a crime contact your local law enforcement agency.