Per Wis. Admin. Code § SPS 305.629, no person or municipality may engage in or offer to engage in providing plan review, permit issuance, or inspections regarding electrical wiring under the scope of
ch. SPS 316 unless the person or municipality holds a registration from the Department as a registered inspection agency.
A person or municipality who is responsible for facilitating plan review, permit issuance, or inspection regarding electrical wiring under ch. SPS 316 as a registered inspection agency shall be responsible for all of the following:
- Utilizing persons appropriately certified under
§ SPS 305.62 to conduct the inspections.
- Maintaining a record of the electrical permits issued under
§ SPS 316.012.
- Making the records relative to permit issuance and inspections available to the Department upon request.
- Providing inspection services for all inspections required under
§ SPS 316.013.
- Cooperating with the Department in any program monitoring, enforcement activities, and investigations related to electrical wiring under the scope of ch. SPS 316.
- Following all procedures established by the Department for enforcement.
Application for License
Per Wis. Admin. Code § SPS 305.629(2), a person applying for an inspection agency registration shall submit all of the following:
- An application in accordance with § SPS 305.01.
- An application fee and registration fee in accordance with § SPS 305.02, Table 305.02.
Additional Information for Municipalities
Submit for review the following items to the Department at least 60 days prior to the date upon which your municipality intends to assume jurisdiction in order to comply with the provisions of Wis.
Admin. Code § SPS 316.011(1):
- A notification of your
municipality’s intent to assume jurisdiction and the date upon which it
intends to do so;
- A copy of all the municipality’s
electrical ordinances and any revisions;
- Your municipality’s ordinance
adopting SPS 316 in its entirety; and,
The names of the certified commercial electrical inspectors (including their certification numbers) which your municipality employes or contracts with to perform electrical inspection activities.
Submit all hard copy or electronic documents listed in Additional Information for Municipalities to the following address:
Michael D. McNally Jr | Section Chief
Department of Safety and Professional Services
141 NW Barstow St.
Waukesha, WI 53188
Application for Inspection Agency Registration |
Per Wis. Admin. Code § SPS 305.629(3), the person applying for an inspection agency registration shall be one of the following:
- If a municipality, the department head of the agency administering the electrical program.
- If not a municipality, the owner of the business, a partner in the business applying on behalf of a partnership, or the chairman of the board or chief executive officer applying on behalf of a corporation.