Journeyman Plumber Restricted Appliance

​ Now Live for Trades Credentials and Renewals!

All initial, reinstatement, and renewal applications for a Trades credential must now be made through LicensE, your online, self-guided licensing platform.

  • To apply for a license or renew your license, go to
  • For those renewing in LicensE for the first time or looking for more information about LicensE, including exams, refer to the “Trades LicensE Information" document.
  • Please review the LicensE Applicant User Guide for help. 
  • If you are having trouble with anything, please submit a support ticket at this link.  Please provide complete contact information and a detailed description of the issue you are experiencing.

​​​​​​​​​​Trades Renewal Message​​

Please go to for a special renewal message and to LicensE​ to renew your credentials.

License Information​

Per Wis. Stat. § 145.06, no person may engage in or work at plumbing in the state unless licensed to do so by the Department.

Pursuant to Wis. Stat. § 145.14, the plumbing activities that may be undertaken by a person who holds a credential as a licensed Master Plumber Restricted Appliance, licensed Journeyman Plumber Restricted Appliance, or registered Plumbing Learner Restricted Appliance shall be limited to installing a water treatment device, a water heater, or any other item in connection with a water distribution system, including a stormwater​ use or reclaimed water system, which does not require a direct connection to a drain system.

Per Wis. Admin. Code § SPS 305.945, the plumbing activities that may be undertaken by a person who holds a license as a licensed Journeyman Plumber Restricted Appliance shall be performed under the general supervision of a person who is a licensed Master Plumber or a licensed Master Plumber Restricted Appliance.

Pre-Credential Education Information​

A person applying for a Journeyman Plumber Restricted Appliance license examination shall have at least 1,000 hours of experience in 1 continuous year as a registered Plumbing Learner Restricted Appliance and submit evidence of completion for the following educational coursework:

    1. Plumbing code (Wis. Admin. Code §§ SPS 381 to 387)

    2. Blueprint or blueline reading

    3. Appliance and equipment servicing

Additional training materials relating to this credential may be ordered through Document Sales. They are intended to be training guides and may not match the current code. Documents are part of educational work that is to be completed before applying for the Journeyman Plumber Restricted Appliance examination. See Plumbing Learner Restricted Appliance for more information.

Product Name
Appliance, Equipment, Devices (Design Installation)
​Basic & Applied Math - Appliance
​Blueprint & Drafting One
​Blueprint & Drafting Two - Appliance
​Plumbing - Sizing the Water Supply System
​Plumbing - Wisconsin Water Treatment Handbook

Application Information​

3127Journeyman Plumber Restricted Appliance License Application Information (includes Form 3127T)
​Trades LicensE Information​

Getting Certified to Work with Lead Based Paint

Training and certification are required for professionals who offer or conduct regulated lead-based paint activities in pre-1978 housing and child-occupied facilities. These activities include:

  • Abatement of Lead Hazards
  • Lead Testing, Inspection, and Risk Assessment
  • Most paint-disturbing renovation work (for example, replacing windows, scraping paint prior to re-painting)
  • Post renovation and post-abatement clearance (including dust wipe sampling to measure lead dust left behind)

By getting certified and working safely, you protect your own and others' health, and show professional responsibility. For more information about certification, visit the Wisconsin Department of Health Services​ website.​