Military Benefits Related to Licensure for Eligible Veterans, Service Members and Spouses

​Wisconsin Act 120 (effective July 1, 2012)

This Act enables veterans to request consideration of their military training, education and experience to satisfy licensure requirements if they can demonstrate substantial equivalency of that training, education and experience to the requirements for licensure. 

For assistance locating documentation related to your military training, education and experience, please contact the Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs (WDVA) at 1-800-947-8387 or visit the WDVA's website for further Information. 

Wisconsin Act 209 (effective July 1, 2012)

This Act provides that The WDVA shall maintain a program under which state licensing agencies will grant fee waivers to qualified veterans when issuing initial licenses.  Under this program, one initial license fee waiver will be allowed per qualified veteran.  The waiver applies to licenses that are issued to individuals; it does not apply to renewals or exam fees. 

Please visit the WDVA's website for Fee Waiver Program information.  

Wisconsin Act 210 (effective June 1, 2012) 

This Act extends the license of a service member if the license expires while they are on active duty from 90 days to 180 days from the date of discharge. The same applies to a spouse of a service member if the spouse does not practice under their license while the service member is on active duty and does not practice because the service member is on active duty.

This Act repeals a provision of prior law that required a service member to meet all of the requirements for license extension or renewal, except for continuing education requirements, in order to have the license extended.

Service members and spouses may request extensions of licenses beyond 180 days from discharge and may request a waiver or extension of time to complete continuing education requirements due to hardship.  Please view Active Duty/Discharge Renewal Extension Form #R210 for further information. 

Temporary Spousal Reciprocal Licenses

The Act provides the spouse of a service member the opportunity to apply for a temporary license in their profession, if the spouse: already holds a professional credential issued by another state that qualifies the individual to perform the acts authorized under the credential and is residing temporarily in Wisconsin as a result of the spouse's service.

A temporary license issued under ch. 440.09 stats. will expire within 180 days from the date of issuance. 
The Department or Credentialing Board may grant an extension beyond the initial expiration date.

For additional questions, please contact the DSPS Customer Service Center at

Please visit the WDVA's website for more information.