Complete the following required examination components:
- National Physical Therapy Examination
- Open-Book Examination on the Wisconsin Statutes and Administrative Code
- Oral Examination (if needed)
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (if applicable)
National Physical Therapy Examination
You must register directly with, and pay the required fee(s) to, the
Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy (FSBPT) to take the National Physical Therapy Examination (NPTE) or request a score transfer.
Exam results are reported to the Wisconsin licensing board by PES. Please visit the PES site to review their policies and procedures.
Candidates wishing to transfer scores from one jurisdiction to another may contact the
FSBPT Exam Application Processing & Score Transfer Service. Comments on the examination may be addressed to
firstname.lastname@example.org. Questions regarding score transfers may be directed to
Open-Book Examination on the Wisconsin Statutes and Administrative Code
The passing score for Physical Therapist is 85%. You will receive your exam name, password, and applicant ID which you will use as your student ID to take this test after you submit your application.
The exam content is drawn from applicable state statutes and administrative code chapters specific to the profession. The purpose of the exam is to familiarize yourself with locating the statutes and administrative code that regulate the practice of the profession. State of Wisconsin Statutes and Administrative Code for the profession can be found under the Additional Resources section on this page.
The state exam consists of material taken from the following statutes and code chapters:
- PT 2
- PT 3
- PT 4
- PT 5
- PT 6
- PT 7
- PT 8
- PT 9
- Chapter 48
- Chapter 252
- Chapter 440
- Chapter 448
- Chapter 940
- You cannot access the entire exam using a Mac computer.
- You must use Internet Explorer as your web browser.
- Go to
- Select "Test Launching."
- Your instructor is “gsp.”
- If you are unable to access the exam, try again later or refresh your Internet Explorer web browser.
- The exam is not timed. You may exit and return to the test any time over the next 3 months. Exit by clicking the “X” at the top right-hand corner of any screen.
- Do not click “Done” until you are ready to submit the exam. If you accidentally click done before you are ready to submit your exam, just go back in and start again. Your first score will be deleted.
- Print out a copy of your score report and retain it for your own records.
If you are using a newer version of Internet Explorer and receive an error message, please follow the steps below to make your browser compatible with our testing software:
- Select "Tools" in the menu bar.
- Select "Compatibility View Settings."
- Press the "Add" button in the gray window that appears.
- Close the gray window and refresh your exam page.
If you fail the exam,
you must retake the exam by downloading the Request to Retake Statutes and Rules or Ethics Examination (Form 2699) and submitting it along with the $75.00 retake fee to the Department. You will then be assigned another test.
Additional technical or exam content-related questions can be directed to DSPSCredentialingCSC@wisconsin.gov.
Oral Examination must only be completed if needed. Please see
Wis. Admin. Code § PT 2.01(1).
PT Oral Exam Dates
|02/03/21||30 Days Prior||DSPS|
|05/05/21||30 Days Prior||DSPS|
|08/11/21||30 Days Prior||DSPS|
|12/01/21||30 Days Prior||DSPS|
Test of English as a Foreign Language
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), TWE, TSE must only be completed by candidates who graduated from a school of physical therapy in which English was not the primary language.
Testing Accommodations Forms
1907||Disability Modification Request Form for Examinations|
2349||Requests for Modification of Examinations for Persons With Disabilities|
2350||Professional Verification of Request for Modifications|