Utility Contractor

License Information

Per Wis. Stat. § 145.06, no person may engage in or work at plumbing in the state unless licensed to do so by the Department.

Per Wis. Stat. § 145.07(10), the Department shall issue a Utility Contractor license to any person who is skilled in the planning, superintending and practical installation, within public or private premises, of piping which conveys sewage, rain water or other liquid wastes to a legal point of disposal and who is skilled in the design, planning, superintending and practical installation of water service piping from the street main to the immediate inside building perimeter.

Per Wis. Admin. Code § SPS 305.97, a person who, as a licensed Utility Contractor, installs or modifies water services, private water mains, sanitary building sewers, storm building sewers, or private interceptor main sewers shall utilize the appropriately licensed or registered persons to install or modify the plumbing.

Application for License

3137Application for Utility Contractor License
3073Trades Payment Form

Reinstate a Utility Contractor License that has been Expired more than 4 Years

Submit an application, supporting documentation and fee:

  • Application for Utility Contractor License (Form 3137)
  • $65.00 total fee ($10.00 application fee, $30.00 exam fee, and $25.00 late renewal fee)

Renewal Information


Renewal Methods

Department of Safety and Professional Services

Trades Credentialing Unit
PO Box 78780
Milwaukee, WI 53293-0780​


If you have questions regarding your renewal, please email DSPSCredTrades@wisconsin.gov.

When mailing your renewal, please allow up to 21 calendar days [per Wis. Admin. Code §​ SP​S 305.04 (1)] from the date your payment is processed to receive an update regarding your renewal.