Clinical substance abuse counselors are required to successfully complete 30 hours of continuing education courses in the first full biennium after they are licensed.
Biennium from 3/1/odd - 2/28/odd year.
NOTE: Continuing education requirements do not apply to the biennium in which the license was first issued.
- See SPS 168.01
- Example Situations for First Renewal:
- If the license is first issued on 3/30/2011 (during the biennium from 3/1/11 to 2/28/2013), then no continuing education is required for the 2/28/13 renewal.
- If the license is first issued on 2/15/2011 (during the biennium from 3/1/09 to 2/28/11), then 30 hours of continuing education is required for the 2/28/13 renewal.
The department does not pre-approve continuing education programs. If the courses satisfy the requirements of administrative code SPS 166.09 and SPS 166.10, the department is able to accept them as part of a continuing education program.
The department is able to accept the following courses relevant to the professional practice of substance use disorder counseling, clinical supervision, and prevention work:
- continuing education courses,
- undergraduate courses, and
- graduate-level courses
If the above courses are presented by an:
- Accredited college or university; or a
- Local or national professional substance use disorder association; or
- Other professional mental health or medical health-related organizations.