Wisconsin State Statutes 440.08 (2), the required renewal date for the Clinical Substance Abuse Counselor credential is 02/28/odd years. Should you receive your initial credential in the months leading up to this date, you are still required to renew your license by the statutorily defined date.
- Complete education requirements (see below).
- Complete and submit Application for Clinical Substance Abuse Counselor including all required documentation and pay required fee.
- DSPS reviews application and makes applicant eligible for ICRC Alcohol & Drug Counselor (ADC)examination. Examinations may be taken after completion of education, before experience is completed.
- Successful completion of required examinations.
- Completion of 7,000 hours of patient counseling experience performing the 8 practice dimensions as a Substance Abuse Counselor, supervised as described in (Form #2749), within 5 years immediately preceding the date of application. The 7,000 hours shall include 2,000 hours in direct, face-to-face substance abuse patient counseling.
Experience in excess of 40 hours per week or 2,000 hours per year will not be accepted.
Educational Equivalencies for Clinical Substance Abuse Counselor
Successful completion of education resulting in a degree approved by the Department in a field with an addiction emphasis or concentration from a clinical program approved by the Department in a field that may be used to satisfy, in part, the experience requirement. The possession of the following degrees shall be exchanged for experience at the following rate:
- An associate degree will equal 1,000 hours of supervised experience.
- A bachelor degree will equal 2,000 hours of supervised experience.
- A master or doctoral degree will equal 4,000 hours of supervised experience.
- Complete and submit Supervised Work Experience (Form #2749).
Pre-Credential Education Information
- Must have graduated from an accredited school with an associate's, bachelor's, master's, or a doctoral degree in a field of behavioral science (see
- Complete 360 hours of Department approved specialized education in substance use disorder counseling within a comprehensive program.
Current Pre-Certification Education - Current list of Approved Pre-Certification Courses. Additional programs will be added as programs apply and are approved.
- Former Pre-Certification Education - Formerly-Approved Pre-Certification Programs.
Educators: To apply for approval of a 360-hour comprehensive program, see application procedure:
- Form 2848 - Application Instructions
- Form 2784 - Course Application Information
- The training shall be in a comprehensive program or degree program approved by the Department, except for those having an accumulation of 100 or more hours as of March 1, 2007. An applicant who previously held a certificate from the Wisconsin Certification Board and can provide documentation of accumulation of 100 or more hours of approved specialized education as of March 1, 2007, may submit proof of completion of the balance of the 360 hours from sources other than a comprehensive program.
Application for Licensure
|2743||Application for Clinical Substance Abuse Counselor|
|2786||Application for Out of State Reciprocity |
|2749||Affidavit Regarding Supervised Experience|
|3079||Certificate of Completion of Dept. Approved Comprehensive Substance Abuse Education Program (360 Hour Program) For applicants who have completed a Department approved 360 hour program|
|2868||ICRC Exam Registration Instructions |
|2829||Malpractice Suits or Claims Form (If applicable)|
|2252||Convictions and Pending Charges|
|3071||Fax Payment Form|