Successful completion of Wisconsin State Law Examination and proof of national examination. In order to take this exam, applicants must first submit an application for licensure
Form #2960 to DSPS.
Massage Therapist Jurisprudence Exam
Applicants must have submitted a DSPS application for licensure before taking the examination. After the application is reviewed, DSPS will assign an ID#, test name, and password. It is recommended that applicants do so as soon as reasonable. If an applicant fails the examination, the applicant will be required to pay a fee to retake the examination. A passing score is required for licensure.
The exam consists of 40 questions in multiple choice and true/false format. Passing score for the exam is 85%.
The exam content is drawn from applicable state statutes and administrative code chapters specific to the profession. The purpose of the exam is to familiarize yourself with locating the statutes and administrative code that regulate the practice of the profession. State of Wisconsin Statutes and Administrative Code can be found under the Additional Resources section on this page.
The state exam consists of materials taken from the following statutes and code chapters:
- MTBT 1
- MTBT 2
- MTBT 3
- MTBT 4
- MTBT 5
- Chapter 48
- Chapter 146
- Chapter 460
- You cannot access the entire exam using a Mac computer.
- You must use Internet Explorer as your web browser.
- Go to https://eptol.drl.wi.gov/.
- Select "Test Launching."
- Your instructor is "gsp."
- If you are unable to access the exam, try again later or refresh your Internet Explorer web browser.
- The exam is not timed. You may exit and return to the test any time over the next 3 months. Exit by clicking the "X" at the top right-hand corner of any screen.
- Passing score is 85%. For each question, there is only one correct response.
- Do not click "Done" until you are ready to submit the exam. If you accidentally click done before you are ready to submit your exam, just go back in and start again. Your first score will be deleted.
- If you are a graduate of a Wisconsin school after 01/12/12, print out a copy of your score report and hand it to your test administrator at the school.
- Select the "Print test feedback report" option to ensure your score is available for review.
Important: Upon completion of the exam, the applicant will be presented with the option to "Print test feedback report." The applicant
must choose this option to have the examination score available for review. Hard copy proof of the examination score is required. DSPS does
not have the ability to recall a score.
If the applicant fails to print the test feedback report when given the option, the applicant will be required to retake the examination and pay an additional fee.
If you are using a newer version of Internet Explorer and receive an error message, please follow the steps below to make your browser compatible with our testing software:
Select "Tools" in the menu bar.
Select "Compatibility View Settings."
Press the "Add" button in the gray window that appears.
Close the gray window and refresh your exam page.
If you fail the exam (score less than 85%), you must retake the exam by downloading the Request to Retake Statutes and Rules or Ethics Examination (Form 2699) and submitting it along with a $75.00 retake fee to the Department. You will then be assigned another test.
Additional technical or exam content-related questions can be directed to
Applicants must arrange for proof that the applicant passed an approved nationally-administered entry-level competency assessment examination. Evidence of having passed the examination must come directly from the examination service; applicants may
not submit the required documentation on their own behalf.
The following are approved national examinations:
- National Certification Examinations of the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (NCBTMB)
- National Certification Commission of Acupuncture Oriental Medicine (NCCAOM)
- The Federation of State Massage Therapy Board's (FSMTB) Massage and Bodywork Licensing Examination (MBLEx)
The evidence of completion must come directly from the examination service listed.
Testing Accommodations Forms
1907||Disability Modification Request Form for Examinations|
2349||Requests for Modification of Examinations for Persons With Disabilities|
2350||Professional Verification of Request for Modifications|