Massage Therapist or Bodywork Therapist

Pursuant to 2017 Wisconsin Act 278, beginning August 1, 2018, prior to submitting an application for a credential, an individual may apply to the Department for a determination of whether the individual would be disqualified from obtaining the credential due to his or her conviction record.  To apply for a predetermination, please fill out Form #3085 and submit all required documentation specified on the form.  Pursuant to Wis. Stat. § 111.335(4)(e), the offenses or kinds of offenses that may result in a refusal, bar, or termination of licensure are published under Additional Resources on the left side of this page.

License Information

Fee Reduction

Pursuant to 2017 Wisconsin Act 319, beginning August 1, 2018, an applicant for an initial credential may apply for a reduction of the initial credential fee that is equal to 10% of the initial fee.  Qualification is based on the federal adjusted gross income being at or below 180% of the federal poverty guideline prescribed for the applicant's family household size by the United States Department of Health and Human Services. To determine eligibility please visit the United States Department of Health and Human Services website at, prior to submitting Form 3217.

Per Wisconsin State Statutes 440.08 (2), the required renewal date for the Massage Therapist or Bodywork Therapist credential is 02/28/odd years.  Should you receive your initial credential in the months leading up to this date, you are still required to renew your license by the statutorily defined date.


  • Is 18 years of age or older.
  • Has completed the required education (see below) Passed the required examinations.
  • CPR/AED certification approved by the Wisconsin Department of Health Services (DHS). List of DHS-Approved Providers of CPR/AED Certification.     
  • Malpractice liability insurance coverage.

Temporary Licensure Requirements

This provision applies only to those eligible for licensure by examination and who meet all other requirements for licensure, but who have not yet received scores from an approved, nationally-administered entry-level competency assessment examination.

  • A temporary license expires six (6) months after the date of issuance or when the Department receives notice that the temporary licensee has failed or passed the examination required by Wis. Stat. § 460.06, whichever is first.
  • Practice under a temporary license shall be under the supervision of a licensed massage therapist or bodywork therapist at the level of general, direct or direct one-on-one supervision as necessary to avoid unacceptable risk of harm to the client. The supervising massage therapist or bodywork therapist is responsible for determining the level of supervision necessary to avoid unacceptable risk of harm to the client, and is responsible for the acts of the temporary licensee.  The supervisor may be subject to discipline for failure to appropriately supervise the temporary licensee and/or for failing to ensure that the temporary licensee adhered to the Board's rules and the standard of minimal competence.
  • The supervisor responsible for the temporary licensee shall ensure that clients are made aware that the temporary licensee is not fully licensed and that the supervisor is ultimately responsible for the care provided.  It is recommended that this information be documented in the client record.

Pre-Credential Education Information

Applicant must have graduated from high school or attained high school graduation equivalency as determined by the Department of Public Instruction under Wis. Stat. § 115.29(4).

Applicant must complete a massage therapy program that meets the requirements outlined on the Massage Therapy and Bodywork Therapy Program Curriculum Form (#2962). If the school is not Educational Approval Program (EAP) approved, an official transcript must be submitted.

Note: An application may be submitted prior to graduation, as Wisconsin schools require the online state exam as part of their program.

Licensure by Reciprocity

An applicant is eligible for reciprocal licensure as a Massage Therapist or Bodywork Therapist if the applicant holds a current similar license, registration or certificate to practice Massage Therapy or Bodywork Therapy in another U.S. state or territory or another country, the requirements for which are substantially equivalent to the requirements under Wis. Stat. § 460.05.

"Substantially Equivalent" means the requirements must include either of the following:

  • Certification by the NCBTMB or any other organization accredited by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies to certify Massage Therapy or Bodywork Therapy
  • Completion of at least 600 classroom hours of instruction in Massage Therapy or Bodywork Therapy at a school approved by an accrediting agency.

Application for Licensure

2960Application for Massage Therapist or Bodywork Therapist
3217​Application for Fee Reduction (This form must accompany the application for fee reduction)
2962​Massage Therapy or Bodywork Therapy Program Curriculum (this form must be forwarded and completed by your school and returned directly to the Department)
2968Request for Temporary License for Massage Therapist or Bodywork Therapist (This provision applies only to those eligible for licensure by examination, and who meet all other requirements for licensure, but who have not yet received scores from an approved nationally-administered entry-level competency assessment examination)
2829Malpractice Suits or Claims Form (if applicable)
​3085​Application for Predetermination
2252​Convictions and Pending Charges
3071​Fax Payment Form

Renewal Information


  • FEE (See Renewal Dates and Fees)
  • CPR (Current CPR/AED certification is required)
  • INS (Current liability insurance is required)
  • SIG (Signature regarding the completion of Continuing Education, included in on-line renewal and paper form see Continuing Education Information for details.)
  • If your legal status as a qualified alien or nonimmigrant lawfully present in the United States has changed since the issuance of your credential or your last renewal, please contact the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services at (608) 266-2112 or

Renewal Methods

  • Online Log In: License Renewal Online
  • Request a Paper Renewal Form: (888) 506‑4239 or (608) 261‑4460 for the Madison area
RDAFRenewal Dates and Fees
R210Active Duty/Discharge Renewal Extension

Wisconsin Act 210 (effective June 1, 2012)

This Act extends the license of a service member if the license expires while they are on active duty from 90 days to 180 days from the date of discharge. The same applies to a spouse of a service member if the spouse does not practice under their license while the service member is on active duty and does not practice because the service member is on active duty.

This Act repeals a provision of prior law that required a service member to meet all of the requirements for license extension or renewal, except for continuing education requirements, in order to have the license extended.

Service members and spouses may request extensions of licenses beyond 180 days from discharge and may request a waiver or extension of time to complete continuing education requirements due to hardship.  Please view Active Duty/Discharge Renewal Extension Form #R210.