Now Live: Easier Online License Applications!
LicensE, our new, online, self-guided occupational license application platform is now live! The list of licenses available via LicensE is available HERE. Starting on May 16, 2022, those applicants can apply at license.wi.gov.
LicensE is for new, initial applications only. To renew your license, click HERE. You should not use LicensE to renew your license at this time.
For additional information, please see the LicensE User Guides and Video page. Check back for updates, FAQs, and application tips.
Wisconsin State Statutes 440.08 (2), the required renewal date for the Massage Therapist or Bodywork Therapist credential is 02/28/odd years. Should you receive your initial credential in the months leading up to this date, you are still required to renew your license by the statutorily defined date.
Is 18 years of age or older.
Has completed the required education (see below) Passed the required examinations.
Malpractice liability insurance coverage.
Temporary Licensure Requirements
This provision applies only to those eligible for licensure by examination and who meet all other requirements for licensure, but who have
not yet received scores from an approved, nationally-administered entry-level competency assessment examination.
- A temporary license expires six (6) months after the date of issuance or when the Department receives notice that the temporary licensee has failed or passed the examination required by
Wis. Stat. § 460.06, whichever is first.
- Practice under a temporary license shall be under the supervision of a licensed massage therapist or bodywork therapist at the level of general, direct or direct one-on-one supervision as necessary to avoid unacceptable risk of harm to the client. The supervising massage therapist or bodywork therapist is responsible for determining the level of supervision necessary to avoid unacceptable risk of harm to the client, and is responsible for the acts of the temporary licensee. The supervisor may be subject to discipline for failure to appropriately supervise the temporary licensee and/or for failing to ensure that the temporary licensee adhered to the Board's rules and the standard of minimal competence.
- The supervisor responsible for the temporary licensee shall ensure that clients are made aware that the temporary licensee is not fully licensed and that the supervisor is ultimately responsible for the care provided. It is recommended that this information be documented in the client record.
Pre-Credential Education Information
Applicant must have graduated from high school or attained high school graduation equivalency as determined by the Department of Public Instruction under
Wis. Stat. § 115.29(4).
Applicant must complete a massage therapy program that meets the requirements outlined on the Massage Therapy and Bodywork Therapy Program Curriculum Form (#2962). If the school is not
Educational Approval Program (EAP) approved, an official transcript must be submitted.
Note: An application may be submitted prior to graduation, as Wisconsin schools require the online state exam as part of their program.
Licensure by Reciprocity
An applicant is eligible for reciprocal licensure as a Massage Therapist or Bodywork Therapist if the applicant holds a current similar license, registration or certificate to practice Massage Therapy or Bodywork Therapy in another U.S. state or territory or another country, the requirements for which are substantially equivalent to the requirements under
Wis. Stat. § 460.05.
"Substantially Equivalent" means the requirements must include either of the following:
- Certification by the NCBTMB or any other organization accredited by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies to certify Massage Therapy or Bodywork Therapy
- Completion of at least 600 classroom hours of instruction in Massage Therapy or Bodywork Therapy at a school approved by an accrediting agency. (Reciprocity Information)
Application for Licensure
2960||Credentialing Information for Massage Therapist or Bodywork Therapist Applicants|
|3217||Application for Fee Reduction (If applying for a fee reduction, this form must accompany Form #2960.)|
2962||Massage Therapy or Bodywork Therapy Program Curriculum (this form must be forwarded and completed by your school and returned directly to the Department)|
2968||Request for Temporary License for Massage Therapist or Bodywork Therapist (This provision applies only to those eligible for licensure by examination, and who meet all other requirements for licensure, but who have not yet received scores from an approved nationally-administered entry-level competency assessment examination.)|
2829||Malpractice Suits or Claims Form (if applicable)|
3085||Application for Predetermination (Optional-Submit ONLY if you have been convicted of any felony, misdemeanor, or other violations of federal or state law in this state or any other and you desire a review of your conviction record before applying for a credential.)|
2252||Convictions and Pending Charges|
3071||Fax Payment Form|