Pass the following required examination components:
- National Board for Respiratory Care CRTT Examination
- Open-Book Online Wisconsin Statutes and Administrative Code for Respiratory Care Practitioner Examination
- Oral Examination (if needed)
National Board for Respiratory Care CRTT Examination
Information on the CRTT Examination can be found on the National Board for Respiratory Care (NBRC) site.
An applicant who fails to receive a passing score on the CRTT and/or the Wisconsin Statutes Exam after three (3) attempts must submit a remedial education plan to the board for approval prior to rescheduling the exam.
Wisconsin Statutes and Administrative Code for Respiratory Care Practitioner Examination
The passing score for the exam is 85%. Print these instructions out and read them carefully before starting the exam.
The exam content is drawn from applicable state statutes and administrative code chapters specific to the profession. The purpose of the exam is to familiarize yourself with locating the statutes and administrative code that regulate the practice of the profession. State of Wisconsin Statutes and Administrative Code for the profession can be found under the Additional Resources section on this page.
The state exam consists of material taken from the following statutes and code chapters:
- MED 10
- MED 14
- MED 20
- SPS 7
- Chapter 146
- Chapter 440
- Chapter 448
- Chapter 961
- Go to https://eptol.drl.wi.gov/.
- Select "Test Launching" from the drop-down menu and click on "Start."
- Select your instructor as "dft" from the drop-down menu.
- Enter the test name and password. (They are the same and are sent after you have submitted your application to the Department.)
- Click on "Login."
- Enter your student ID which is your applicant ID number, and your name.
- Click on "Start Test Session."
- The test is not timed, and you may exit and return as often as you like. To exit and return later to the exam, click on the "X" at the upper right-hand corner of the computer screen. Do not click "Done" until you have completed the exam and are ready to submit your exam for scoring.
- You can go back and forth to questions, and change your answers by clicking the appropriate arrows on each exam question screen. There is only one correct answer for each question.
- After you select "Done," your score is immediately calculated and will automatically be submitted to the Department. Your score will be posted to your online checklist in about 5 working days.
If you fail the exam (score less than 85%), you must retake the exam by downloading the retake application and submitting it along with a $75.00 retake fee to the Department. You will then be assigned another test.
Additional technical or exam content-related questions can be directed to
The Oral Examination must be completed if needed. Please see
Med 20.04(4), Wis. Admin. Code.
Oral Exam Dates
|02/19/19||30 Days Prior||DSPS|
Testing Accommodations Forms
1907||Disability Modification Request Form for Examinations|
2349||Requests for Modification of Examinations for Persons With Disabilities|
2350||Professional Verification of Request for Modifications|