Respiratory Care Practitioner

​​​ ​​​​Now Live: Easier Online License Applications!

LicensE, our new, online, self-guided occupational license application platform is now live! The list of licenses available via LicensE is available HERE​.  Starting on May 16, 2022, those applicants can apply at​

LicensE is for new, initial applications only. To renew your license, click HEREYou should not use LicensE to renew your license at this time.​

For additional information, please see the LicensE User Guides and Video page. ​Check back for updates, FAQs, and application tips.

​ALERT: Out-of-state Respiratory Care Practitioners seeking COVID-19 pandemic-related temporary licensure in Wisconsin should immediately utilize 2021 Wis. Act 10 forms on our COVID-19 Information page and are encouraged to apply for​​​​ a permanent Wisconsin credential using the forms below.

License Information

Per Wis. Stat. § 440.08 (2), the required renewal date for the Respiratory Care ​​Practitioner​​ credential is 06/30/even years.  Should you receive your initial credential in the months leading up to this date, you are still required to renew your license by the statutorily defined date.

An applicant for permanent certification may apply for a temporary certificate at the same time but must pay both fees and meet the following conditions:

  • Individual Licensed in Another State Temporary Certificate
    • Be a graduate of an approved school and passed the national certification examination.
    • Passed the Wisconsin statute and rules examination and is not required to take an oral examination.
    • Pass required examinations.
    • Board review of application (if applicable) for determination to grant credential. 

Pre-Credential Education Information

Graduate from a school with a course of instruction in respiratory care approved by the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC) or the Joint Review Committee for Respiratory Care (JRCRC).

Certification by National Board for Respiratory Care.

Application for Licensure


Credentialing Information for Respiratory Care Practitioner Applicants
​3217​Application for Fee Reduction 
1792​Respiratory Care Practitioner Certificate of Professional Education
1794Practice of Respiratory Care (This form is not required for new graduates.)
2871​Temporary Certificate Request For Certified Respiratory Care Practitioner (For individuals licensed in another state.)

Malpractice Suits or Claims Form (If applicable)
​3085​Application for Predetermination (Optional-Submit ONLY if you have been convicted of any felony, misdemeanor, or other violations of federal or state law in this state or any other and you desire a review of your conviction record before applying for a credential.)

​Convictions and Pending Charges, if applicablbe
3071​Fax Payment Form

Renewal Information


  • FEE (See Renewal Dates and Fees)
  • If your legal status as a qualified alien or nonimmigrant lawfully present in the United States has changed since the issuance of your credential or your last renewal, please contact the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services at (608) 266-2112 or

Renewal Methods

RDAFRenewal Dates and Fees
R210Active Duty/Discharge Renewal Extension

​Convictions and Pending Charges, if applicable

Wisconsin Act 210 (effective June 1, 2012)

This Act extends the license of a service member if the license expires while they are on active duty from 90 days to 180 days from the date of discharge. The same applies to a spouse of a service member if the spouse does not practice under their license while the service member is on active duty and does not practice because the service member is on active duty.

This Act repeals a provision of prior law that required a service member to meet all of the requirements for license extension or renewal, except for continuing education requirements, in order to have the license extended.

Service members and spouses may request extensions of licenses beyond 180 days from discharge and may request a waiver or extension of time to complete continuing education requirements due to hardship. Please view Active Duty/Discharge Renewal Extension Form #R210.