Applicants are required to pass the National Home Inspector Examination administered by the Examination Board of Professional Home Inspectors (EBPHI). For more information about the exam, please visit their
home inspection exam site.
To schedule an exam, please call PSI Services LLC at (800) 733‑9267 between 7:30 am and 8:00 pm Eastern Standard Time, or by visiting the
PSI Services site.
Submit Application for Home Inspector Registration (Form #2466) with the exam fee. When the application has been processed, you will be assigned an exam name, password and application ID number. You must achieve an 85% or better on the Home Inspectors Statutes & Rules exam in order to pass.
The exam content is drawn from applicable state statutes and administrative code chapters specific to the profession. The purpose of the exam is to familiarize yourself with locating the statutes and administrative code that regulate the practice of the profession. State of Wisconsin Statutes and Administrative Code for the profession can be found in the Additional Resources section on this page.
The state exam consists of material taken from the following statutes and code chapters:
- You cannot access the entire exam using a Mac computer.
- You must use Internet Explorer as your browser.
- Go to https://eptol.drl.wi.gov/.
- Select "Test Launching."
- Your instructor is "gsp."
- If you are unable to access the exam, try again later. Refresh your Internet Explorer web browser.
- The exam is not timed. You may exit and return to the test any time over the next 3 months. Exit by clicking the "X" at the top right-hand corner of any screen.
- Do not click "Done" until you are ready to submit the exam. If you accidentally click done before you are ready to submit your exam, just go back in and start again. Your first score will be deleted.
- Print out a copy of your score report and retain it for your own records.
If you are using a newer version of Internet Explorer and receive an error message, please follow the steps below to make your browser compatible with our testing software:
- Select "Tools" in the menu bar.
- Select "Compatibility View Settings."
- Press the "Add" button in the gray window that appears.
- Close the gray window and refresh your exam page.
You may retake the exam as many times as you need to pass.
Additional technical or exam content-related questions can be directed to