Journeyman Plumber Restricted Service

​ Now Live for Trades Credentials and Renewals!

All initial, reinstatement, and renewal applications for a Trades credential must now be made through LicensE, your online, self-guided licensing platform.

  • To apply for a license or renew your license, go to
  • For those renewing in LicensE for the first time or looking for more information about LicensE, including exams, refer to the “Trades LicensE Information" document.
  • Please review the LicensE Applicant User Guide for help. 
  • If you are having trouble with anything, please submit a support ticket at this link.  Please provide complete contact information and a detailed description of the issue you are experiencing.

​​​​​​​​​​Trades Renewal Message​​

Please go to for a special renewal message and to LicensE​ to renew your credentials.

License Information

Per Wis. Stat. § 145.06, no person may engage in or work at plumbing in the state unless licensed to do so by the Department.

Pursuant to Wis. Stat. § 145.14, the plumbing activities that may be undertaken by a person who holds a credential as a licensed Master Plumber Restricted Service, licensed Journeyman Plumber Restricted Service, or registered Plumbing Learner Restricted Service shall be limited to installing septic tanks for private on-site wastewater treatment systems, drain fields designed to serve such septic tanks, and sewer service from the septic tank or sewer extensions from mains to the immediate inside or proposed inside foundation wall of the building. Such persons may also install water services, stormwater use systems, and reclaimed water systems if the services or systems are to be located outside the foundation wall of the building.

Per Wis. Admin. Code § SPS 305.94, the plumbing activities that may be undertaken by a person who holds a license as a licensed Journeyman Plumber Restricted Service shall be performed under the general supervision of a person who is a licensed Master Plumber or a licensed Master Plumber Restricted Service.

Pre-Credential Education Information

A person applying for a Journeyman Plumber Restricted Service license examination shall have at least 1,000 hours of experience in 1 continuous year as a registered Plumbing Learner Restricted Service and submit evidence of completion for the following educational coursework:

    1. 40 credit hours of plumbing code (Wis. Admin. Code §§ SPS 381 to 387)

    2. 20 credit hours of blueprint or blueline reading

    3. 10 credit hours of transit or builders level

    4. 20 credit hours of plumbing related mathematics

    5. 10 credit hours of first aid and safety 

Additional training materials relating to this credential may be ordered through Document Sales. They are intended to be training guides and may not match the current code. Documents are part of educational work that is to be completed before applying for the Journeyman Plumber Restricted Service examination. See Plumbing Learner Restricted Service for more information.

Product Name
Appliance, Equipment, Devices (Design & Installation)
​Basic & Applied Math - Sewer
​Blueprint & Drafting One
​Blueprint & Drafting Two - Sewer
​Excavating & Trenching
Builder's Level

Application Information

3128Journeyman Plumber Restricted Service License Application Information (includes Form 3128T)
​Trades​ LicensE Information

Getting Certified to Work with Lead Based Paint

Training and certification are required for professionals who offer or conduct regulated lead-based paint activities in pre-1978 housing and child-occupied facilities. These activities include:

  • Abatement of Lead Hazards
  • Lead Testing, Inspection, and Risk Assessment
  • Most paint-disturbing renovation work (for example, replacing windows, scraping paint prior to re-painting)
  • Post renovation and post-abatement clearance (including dust wipe sampling to measure lead dust left behind)

By getting certified and working safely, you protect your own and others' health, and show professional responsibility. For more information about certification, visit the Wisconsin Department of Health Services​ website.​