NOTE: The administrative code for continuing education, MPSW 19, changed effective 3/1/2015; please view the revised MPSW 19 code.
Continuing education requirements do not apply to the first license renewal as indicated MPSW 19.02 (3).
The Department does not pre-approve continuing education (CE) courses or programs. If the course or program satisfies the requirements in MPSW 19 it will be accepted toward the independent social worker's CE license renewal requirements.
Social Workers are required to successfully complete 30 hours of CE in the first full biennium after they are licensed. Four (4) of the required 30 credit hours must be in the area of ETHICS AND PROFESSIONAL BOUNDARIES related to the license holder's area of practice.
Important: MPSW 19.02 (2) (b) requires social work credential holders to complete their ethics and professional boundaries CE hours in an interactive learning format. MPSW 19.02 (2) defines "interactive learning format" as a live, synchronous presentation with discussion or an asynchronous educational program by a provider under MPSW 19.03 (1) (a) through MPSW 19.03 (1) (f).
The remainder of the 30 CE hours may be obtained from any CE program approved, sponsored, provided, endorsed or authorized by the following, as long as the hours relate to the license holder's area of practice:
- American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT) or affiliated divisions
- Wisconsin Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (WAMFT)
- National Rehabilitation Counseling Association (ARCA)
- Wisconsin Rehabilitation Counseling Association (WRCA)
- National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC)
- American Counseling Association (ACA)
- Wisconsin Counseling Association (WCS)
- Commission on Rehabilitation Counselor Certification (CRCC)
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB)
- National Association of Social Workers (NASW) or affiliated chapters
- Association of Baccalaureate Program Directors (BPD)
- Council on Social Work Education (CSWE)
- National Association of Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counseling (NAADAC) or affiliated divisions
- Any continuing education program accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Education (COAMFTE)
- Any continuing education program approved, sponsored, or co-sponsored by a presenter approved by the Committee for the Approval of Continuing Education Sponsors of the American Psychological Association
- Any educational programs recognized as approved at the time of attendance as "Category I" continuing medical education programs by the Council on Medical Education of the American Medical Association (AMA) or the American Osteopathic Association (AOA)
- Any course or continuing education program offered by an accredited college or university
- Any course or continuing education program offered by public or private agencies that provide in-house training and development programs; however, only 15 of the required 30 continuing education hours shall be met through in-house training and development programs that are not approved by an organization identified in MPSW 19.03 (1) (a) through MPSW 19.03 (1) (e)
In addition, CE hours may be awarded for presentation or development of CE as long as the hours relate to the license holder's area of practice (no additional CE hours will be granted for subsequent presentations of the same material):
- Presentation of professional material shall receive 1 CE hour per hour of presented CE
- Development of professional material shall receive 1 CE hour per hour of development of CE
- Presentation of a semester education course shall receive 20 CE hours
A presenter of professional material qualifies for CE through the following activities:
- Seminars, workshops, programs or institutions approved in MPSW 19.03 (1) (a) through MPSW 19.03 (1) (f)
- University, college or vocational technical adult education courses
- Authorship of published textbook or professional resource book shall receive 20 CE hours
- Authorship of published chapter in textbook, professional resource book or professional journal article shall receive 8 CE hours; however, no more than 16 CE hours may be obtained for authorship of published chapters or published articles
- Authorship of alternative or electronic media or computer software shall receive 8 CE hours; however, no more than 16 CE hours may be obtained for authorship of alternative or electronic media or computer software
Biennium from 3/1/odd – 2/28/odd year.
See Administrative Code for more details.