Complete the following required examination components:
- Open-Book Statutes and Administrative Code Examination
- Board Review of Application and Determination of Eligibility to sit for National Examination
Statutes and Administrative Code Examination
Pass the state open-book examination (required if not taken within the last 5 years).
The passing score for Social Work is 85%. You will receive your exam name, password, and applicant ID which you will use as your student ID to take this test after you submit your application.
The exam content is drawn from applicable state statutes and administrative code chapters specific to the profession. The purpose of the exam is to familiarize yourself with locating the statutes and administrative code that regulate the practice of the profession. State Statutes and Administrative Code for the profession can be found under the Additional Resources section on this page.
The state exam consists of material taken from the following statutes and code chapters:
- Profession-Specific Codebook
- Wisconsin State Statutes
- Chapter 48
- Chapter 55
- Chapter 51
- Chapter 457
- Chapter 938
- You cannot access the entire exam using a Mac computer.
- You must use Internet Explorer as your web browser.
- Go to https://eptol.drl.wi.gov/.
- Select "Test Launching."
- Your instructor is "dft."
- If you are unable to access the exam, try again later or refresh your Internet Explorer browser.
- The exam is not timed. You may exit and return to the test any time over the next 3 months. Exit by clicking the "X" at the top right-hand corner of any screen.
- Do not click "Done" until you are ready to submit the exam. If you accidentally click done before you are ready to submit your exam, just go back in and start again. Your first score will be deleted.
- Print out a copy of your score report and retain it for your own records.
If you are using a newer version of Internet Explorer and receive an error message, please follow the steps below to make your browser compatible with our testing software:
- Select "Tools" in the menu bar.
- Select "Compatibility View Settings."
- Press the "Add" button in the gray window that appears.
- Close the gray window and refresh your exam page.
Additional technical or exam content-related questions can be directed to
Board reviews the application and determines your eligibility to sit for the national exam.
Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) to register for the national exam. Applicants have the option of taking the exam prior to graduation. The examination for this level is called the ASWB Bachelors Examination (formerly Basic Level Exam).
ASWB Examination Candidate Handbook
Testing Accommodations Forms
1907||Disability Modification Request Form for Examinations|
2349||Requests for Modification of Examinations for Persons With Disabilities|
2350||Professional Verification of Request for Modifications|