Social Worker

License Information

Per Wis. Stat. § 440.08 (2), the required renewal date for the Social Worker credential is 02/28/odd years.  Should you receive your initial credential in the months leading up to this date, you are still required to renew your license by the statutorily defined date.

An applicant for permanent credential may apply for a temporary credential at the same time. (Note: Temporary credentials are not available for applicants applying via reciprocity).

  • The temporary credential may be issued to an individual who pays the required fee and meets all the qualifications for the permanent credential except for passing the required national examination.
  • The temporary credential expires upon notification of successful completion of the national examination or expiration of the 9-month period, whichever is earlier.
  • A temporary credential may be renewed one time for an additional 9-month period.

Contact ASWB to register for the national exam at (Applicants have the option of taking the national exam prior to graduation.)  The examination for this level is called the ASWB Bachelors examination (formerly Basic Level exam).  Board reviews application and determines eligibility to sit for the national exam.

Pre-Credential Education

Received a bachelor's or master's degree in social work from a program accredited by, or pre-accreditation program of, the Council on Social Work Education or a doctoral degree in social work. (If you do not meet these requirements, see information pertaining to Social Worker Training Certificate.)

Application for Licensure

1992Application For Social Worker All pages are required.
1978Certificate of Professional Education This form must be sent to DSPS directly from your school.
2829Malpractice Suits or Claims Form (if applicable)
2252​Convictions and Pending Charges
3071​Fax Payment Form

Application for Substance Abuse Specialty

2711Application for Substance Abuse Specialty Authorization
2712Affidavit Regarding Supervised Experience for Substance Abuse Specialty Authorization
2714​Substance Abuse Specialty Authorization Education and Training Form (for master degree applicants)
2713​Substance Abuse Specialty Authorization Education and Training Form (for bachelor degree applicants)

Renewal Information


  • FEE (See Renewal Dates and Fees)
  • SIG (Signature regarding the completion of Continuing Education, included in on-line renewal and paper form see Continuing Education Information for details)
  • If your legal status as a qualified alien or nonimmigrant lawfully present in the United States has changed since the issuance of your credential or your last renewal, please contact the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services at (608) 266-2112 or

Renewal Methods

  • Online Log In: License Renewal Online
  • Request a Paper Renewal Form: (888) 506‑4239 or (608) 261‑4460 for the Madison area
RDAFRenewal Dates and Fees
R210Active Duty/Discharge Renewal Extension

Wisconsin Act 210 (effective June 1, 2012)

This Act extends the license of a service member if the license expires while they are on active duty from 90 days to 180 days from the date of discharge. The same applies to a spouse of a service member if the spouse does not practice under their license while the service member is on active duty and does not practice because the service member is on active duty.

This Act repeals a provision of prior law that required a service member to meet all of the requirements for license extension or renewal, except for continuing education requirements, in order to have the license extended.

Service members and spouses may request extensions of licenses beyond 180 days from discharge and may request a waiver or extension of time to complete continuing education requirements due to hardship. Please view Active Duty/Discharge Renewal Extension Form #R210.