Now Live: Easier Online License Applications and Renewals!
LicensE is your online, self-guided occupational license application platform.
Please review the helpful links below:
- Find step-by-step instruction for license renewal here.
- Find a list of license renewals available via LicensE in the chart on the LicensE Customer Information page.
- Find all licenses available via LicensE, plus user guides and other resources, on the LicensE Customer Information page.
- Anyone applying for an initial license for any of the credentials listed can apply at license.wi.gov.
Our LicensE Application Status Lookup tool makes it easier for employees, and helps academic advisors support students during the license application process. To access the Application Status Lookup tool, you will need the applicant's 10-digit PAR number. An applicant may provide the number to anyone who could support their application. Find more information in our news release about this tool.
Temporary Act 10 Credential
A health care provider credentialed in good standing in another state may apply for a temporary credential to provide services in Wisconsin while a Wisconsin application for a permanent credential is pending. See information sheet 2021-A101, Form 2021-A102: Health Care Employer Notification, and our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for further details.
Wis. Stat. § 440.08 (2), the required renewal date for the Social Worker credential is 02/28/odd years. Should you receive your initial credential in the months leading up to this date, you are still required to renew your license by the statutorily defined date.
An applicant for permanent credential may apply for a temporary credential at the same time. (Note: Temporary credentials are not available for applicants applying via reciprocity).
- The temporary credential may be issued to an individual who pays the required fee and meets all the qualifications for the permanent credential except for passing the required national examination.
- The temporary credential expires upon notification of successful completion of the national examination or expiration of the 9-month period, whichever is earlier.
- A temporary credential may be renewed one time for an additional 9-month period.
Contact ASWB to register for the national exam at
www.aswb.org/exam-candidates/exam-registration/. (Applicants have the option of taking the national exam prior to graduation.) The examination for this level is called the ASWB Bachelors examination (formerly Basic Level exam). Board reviews application and determines eligibility to sit for the national exam.
Received a bachelor's or master's degree in social work from a program accredited by, or pre-accreditation program of, the Council on Social Work Education or a doctoral degree in social work. (If you do not meet these requirements, see information pertaining to Social Worker Training Certificate.)
Application for Licensure
1992||Credentialing Information for Certified Social Worker Applicants|
|4211||Information for Social Work Application Completion (Information about Reciprocity)|
|3217||Application for Fee Reduction (If applying for a fee reduction, this form must accompany the application for the credential.)|
1978||Certificate of Professional Education This form must be sent to DSPS directly from your school.|
2829||Malpractice Suits or Claims Form (if applicable)|
3085||Application for Predetermination (Optional-Submit ONLY if you have been convicted of any felony, misdemeanor, or other violations of federal or state law in this state or any other and you desire a review of your conviction record before applying for a credential.)|
2252||Convictions and Pending Charges (if applicable)|
|3219 ||Information for Social Worker Late Renewal Applicants (For credentials expired five (5) years or more)|
Application for Substance Abuse Specialty
|2711||Application for Substance Abuse Specialty Authorization|
|2712||Affidavit Regarding Supervised Experience for Substance Abuse Specialty Authorization|
|2713||Substance Abuse Specialty Authorization Education and Training Form|