License Information

Fee Reduction

Pursuant to 2017 Wisconsin Act 319, beginning August 1, 2018, an applicant for an initial credential may apply for a reduction of the initial credential fee that is equal to 10% of the initial fee. Qualification is based on the federal adjusted gross income being at or below 180% of the federal poverty guideline prescribed for the applicant's family household size by the United States Department of Health and Human Services. To determine eligibility please visit the United States Department of Health and Human Services website prior to submitting Form 3217.

Per Wis. Stat. §​ 440.08(2), the required renewal date for the Architect credential is 07/31/even years. Should you receive your initial credential in the months leading up to this date, you are still required to renew your license by the statutorily defined date.

An application is not required to be submitted to the DSPS to take the ARE. Applicants must submit Application for Architect Registration (Form 1737) after all parts of the ARE are completed.

Licensure by Reciprocity (For Architects Licensed by Another State)

An applicant may apply for registration if he or she has an unexpired registration in another state in which registration requirements are not lower than those in Wisconsin. The applicant must pass the NCARB Architect Registration Examination and have 7 years of architectural experience (education included). Applicants may apply by using NCARB Council Record or by direct application.  Details on the process can be found on the application Form 1737.

Temporary Permit

Applicants may be eligible for a temporary permit to proceed with a pending project during the time it takes to process an application for registration. The Examining Board may, upon completion of the required fee, grant a permit to practice or to offer to practice architecture to a person who is not a resident of and has no established place of business in this state, or who has recently become a resident of this state, if the person holds an unexpired certificate of similar registration issued to the person by the proper authority in any state or territory or possession of the United States when the requirements for the registration of architects are of a standard not lower than specified in Wis. Stat. ch. 443. Average determination period on temporary permit is 10 days.

Registration Seals:  As a credential holder with this Board, you are required to obtain a personal registration seal in compliance with the specifications outlined in Wis. Admin. Code § A-E 2.02.  It is the credential holder's responsibility to obtain a seal, which should only include the numbers before the dash (i.e. 30666-006, 8178-005).  The inner circle area of the seal must include the credential holder's name, credential number, and the city and state where the credential holder resides or is employed.  This information serves as a basis for locating the credential holder and should be the same as the mailing address on file with the Board office (i.e. if the credential holder's address is Memphis, TN, then Memphis, TN must be placed on the inner circle).

Submission of Plans for State Approval

Questions regarding the submission of plans for state approval should be directed to the Safety and Buildings Division of DSPS at (608) 266-3151.

Certificate of Authorization

A firm, partnership or corporation requesting a certificate of authorization shall submit a completed application and fee to the Department.  See Architectural, Engineering or Designer of Engineering Systems, Corp Certificate for more information.

Pre-Credential Education Information

Route 1 : Combination of Education and Experience

A diploma of graduation or a certificate, from an architectural school or college approved by the examining board as of satisfactory standing, together with at least 2 years' practical experience of a character satisfactory to the examining board in the design and construction of buildings;


Route 2 : Experience Only

A specific record of 7 or more years of experience in architectural work of a character satisfactory to the examining board in the design and construction of buildings.

Note: A bachelor of architecture from an approved school or college shall be considered as equivalent to 5 years of experience, and the completion satisfactory to the examining board of each year of work in architecture in such school or college without graduation shall be considered equivalent to one year of experience. Graduation in a course other than architecture from an approved school or college shall be considered as equivalent to not more than 4 years of experience.

Foreign Education: The Board accepts foreign education. All transcripts must be professionally translated into English, indicating all courses taken and degree earned.

Certificate of Authorization

A firm, partnership or corporation requesting a certificate of authorization shall submit a completed application and fee to the Department.  See Architectural, Engineering or Designer of Engineering Systems, Corp Certificate for more information.

For more specifics see Wis. Admin. Code §§​ A-E 3.03​ and 3.04.

Application for Licensure

1737Application for Architect Registration
​Application for Fee Reduction (If applying for a fee reduction, this form must accompany the application for the credential.)
463Experience Record
1947Equivalent Architectural Experience (Intern Development) Program Record of Experience
472Architect Applicant Appraisal Form (5 Appraisal Forms Required)
475Verification of Examination or Registration
​2288​Application for Credential Late Renewal (after 5 years)
​2490​Applicant Appraisal Form for Late Renewal (after 5 years) (3 Appraisal Forms Required)
​2489​Experience Record for Credential Late Renewal (after 5 years)
3085​Application for Predetermination (Optional-Submit ONLY if you have been convicted of any felony, misdemeanor, or other violations of federal or state law in this state or any other and you desire a review of your conviction record before applying for a credential.)​
2252​Convictions and Pending Charges 
307​1​Fax Payment Form

Application by Late Renewal  (License Expired Five Years or More)

Submit application Form 2288, supporting documentation and fee as well as evidence that you have completed at least 24 hours of continuing education in the 2 years immediately prior to your application according to Wis. Admin. Code § A-E 12.04(3).​

Renewal Information


  • FEE (See Renewal Dates and Fees)
  • SIG (Signature regarding the completion of Continuing Education requirements, included in on-line renewal and paper form - see Continuing Education Information for details)
  • If your legal status as a qualified alien or nonimmigrant lawfully present in the United States has changed since the issuance of your credential or your last renewal, please contact the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services at (608) 266-2112 or

Renewal Methods

Credential Retired Status

Per Wis. Stat. § 443.015 (1m)(a)1 a or b, a credential holder with an active or expired credential is eligible to place his or her credential in Retired status if:

  • He or she is retired and no longer engages in the practice for which the credential was issued, and
  • He or she is at least 65 years old or has actively maintained or previously held the credential for a minimum of 20 years (consecutive or nonconsecutive).

If you do not intend to practice and want your license to be placed in Retired status, you can partially renew online. If your credential status is not already in Retired status, you can complete the renewal online, up to the payment. Do not pay online. Follow instructions given during the renewal process.

If you complete the renewal for Retired status online, you will need to email our office beginning June 15, 2020 to request paper renewal forms: You will also need to submit Form R443. Please be sure to inform staff at the Department to include Form R443 for you to complete or you can print it from the website.

  • The 2020 prorated renewal fee is $34.00 for Retired status.
  • While a credential is in Retired status, the credential holder may no longer engage in the practice for which the credential was issued and must apply for Active status, including the remaining renewal fee of $34.00, before returning to the practice authorized under his or her credential.

​R443​Retired Status Renewal Addendum Form
RDAFRenewal Dates and Fees

Wisconsin Act 210 (effective June 1, 2012)

This Act extends the license of a service member if the license expires while they are on active duty from 90 days to 180 days from the date of discharge. The same applies to a spouse of a service member if the spouse does not practice under their license while the service member is on active duty and does not practice because the service member is on active duty.

This Act repeals a provision of prior law that required a service member to meet all of the requirements for license extension or renewal, except for continuing education requirements, in order to have the license extended.

Service members and spouses may request extensions of licenses be yond 180 days from discharge and may request a waiver or extension of time to complete continuing education requirements due to hardship. Please view Active Duty/Discharge Renewal Extension Form R210 for further information.