Art Therapist

License Information

Per Wisconsin State Statutes 440.08 (2), the required renewal date for the Art Therapist credential is 09/30/even odd years.  Should you receive your initial credential in the months leading up to this date, you are still required to renew your license by the statutorily defined date.

Applicants must be certified, registered or accredited as Art Therapists by the Art Therapy Credentials Board or another national organization that certifies, registers, or accredits Art Therapists.

In order to practice psychotherapy, an art therapist must submit an application for psychotherapy and provide evidence of additional qualifications. The state examination must be passed prior to taking the National Exam.

Pre-Credential Education Information

Core curriculum as outlined in the American Association  of Art Therapists (AATA) Education Standards for Master's Degree programs  in art therapy or in counseling or a related field with an emphasis in art therapy. Degrees must be earned at accredited universities from programs that are also approved by the AATA Education Program Approval Board.

Application for Licensure

2427Application for Music, Art or Dance Therapist Registration
2426Request for Verification of Certification, Registration or Accreditation ​​(Complete this form and forward to the organization where you are Certified, Registered, or Accredited.)
2829Malpractice Suits or Claims Form (If applicable)
2252​Convictions and Pending Charges
3071​Fax Payment Form

​ Application for License to Practice Psychotherapy

2575Music, Art, or Dance License to Practice Psychotherapy Application
2585Certificate of Professional Education (This form must be completed by your school and sent directly to the Department.)
2586Affidavit of Supervisor

Renewal Information


  • FEE (See Renewal Dates and Fees)
  • SIG (Signature regarding current certification with a national organization identified under SPS 141.01(4) Wis. Admin. Code)
  • If your legal status as a qualified alien or nonimmigrant lawfully present in the United States has changed since the issuance of your credential or your last renewal, please contact the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services at (608) 266-2112 or

Renewal Methods

  • Online Log In: License Renewal Online
  • Request a Paper Renewal Form:  (888) 506‑4239 or (608) 261‑4460 for the Madison area
RDAFRenewal Dates and Fees
R210Active Duty/Discharge Renewal Extension

Wisconsin Act 210 (effective June 1, 2012)

This Act extends the license of a service member if the license expires while they are on active duty from 90 days to 180 days from the date of discharge. The same applies to a spouse of a service member if the spouse does not practice under their license while the service member is on active duty and does not practice because the service member is on active duty.

This Act repeals a provision of prior law that required a service member to meet all of the requirements for license extension or renewal, except for continuing education requirements, in order to have the license extended.

Service members and spouses may request extensions of licenses beyond 180 days from discharge and may request a waiver or extension of time to complete continuing education requirements due to hardship.  Please view Active Duty/Discharge Renewal Extension Form #R210.