Clinical Supervisor In Training

License Information

Per Wis. Stat. § 440.08 (2), the required renewal date for the Clinical Supervisors In Training credential is 02/28/odd years.  Should you receive your initial credential in the months leading up to this date, you are still required to renew your license by the statutorily defined date.


  • Must hold a current certification as: A Clinical Substance Abuse Counselor  or  a Professional Counselor, Marriage and Family Therapist, or Social Worker holding a credential under ch. 457, Stats., at the master's level or higher with the specialty authorization of s. MPSW 1.09.
  • Attain sufficient patient counseling experience.
    • Verification of completion of 2,000 hours of patient counseling experience performing the 8 practice dimensions as a Clinical Substance Abuse Counselor, supervised by an individual defined in Wisconsin law s. RL 162.02(1), within 5 years immediately preceding the date of application.  The 2,000 hours shall include 200 hours in direct, face-to-face substance abuse patient counseling. 
    • Experience in excess of 40 hours per week or 2,000 hours per year will not be accepted. Complete and submit Affidavit Regarding Supervised Counseling Experience for Clinical Supervisor (Form #2277) and Employment Form For Supervised Clinical Supervisor Practice (Form #2779). 
  • Obtain current employment, offer of employment or an agreement authorizing volunteer hours at an agency providing substance abuse disorder treatment service as a Clinical Supervisor of Counselors certified in Wisconsin as described in step #1 above

Application for Licensure

2744Application for Clinical Substance Abuse Counselor
2777​Affidavit Regarding Supervised Counseling Experience
​2779​Employment Verification form
2829Malpractice Suits or Claims Form (if applicable)
2252​Convictions and Pending Charges
3071​Fax Payment Form

Renewal Information


  • FEE (See Renewal Dates and Fees)
  • SIG (Signature regarding the completion of Continuing Education in Chapter SPS 165.01, included in online renewal and paper form - see Continuing Education Information for details)
  • If your legal status as a qualified alien or nonimmigrant lawfully present in the United States has changed since the issuance of your credential or your last renewal, please contact the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services at (608) 266-2112 or

Renewal Methods

  • Online Log In: License Renewal Online
  • Request a Paper Renewal Form: (888) 506‑4239 or (608) 261‑4460 for the Madison area
RDAFRenewal Dates and Fees
R210Active Duty/Discharge Renewal Extension

Wisconsin Act 210 (effective June 1, 2012)

This Act extends the license of a service member if the license expires while they are on active duty from 90 days to 180 days from the date of discharge. The same applies to a spouse of a service member if the spouse does not practice under their license while the service member is on active duty and does not practice because the service member is on active duty.

This Act repeals a provision of prior law that required a service member to meet all of the requirements for license extension or renewal, except for continuing education requirements, in order to have the license extended.

Service members and spouses may request extensions of licenses beyond 180 days from discharge and may request a waiver or extension of time to complete continuing education requirements due to hardship. Please view Active Duty/Discharge Renewal Extension Form #R210.