2017 Wisconsin Act 278, beginning August 1, 2018, prior to submitting an application for a credential, an individual may apply to the Department for a determination of whether the individual would be disqualified from obtaining the credential due to his or her conviction record. To apply for a predetermination, please fill out
Form #3085 and submit all required documentation specified on the form. Pursuant to
Wis. Stat. §
111.335(4)(e), the offenses or kinds of offenses that may result in a refusal, bar, or termination of licensure are published under Additional Resources on the left side of this page.
Wis. Stat. § 440.08 (2), the required renewal date for the Cosmetology Apprentice credential is 03/31/odd years. Should you receive your initial credential in the months leading up to this date, you are still required to renew your license by the statutorily defined date.
Steps to obtain an Apprentice Permit
- Contact the Department of Workforce Development to find an employer who has been approved to train apprentices. To locate the Apprentice Training Representative in your area, please go to the following website: http://dwd.wisconsin.gov/apprenticeship/contacts.htm . Locate your area of the state on the map. Each area has a designated Training Representative, and his/her contact information is listed.
- If the employer wishes to hire you, he/she will submit an apprentice application to the DWD. If the DWD determines that you meet the Bureau of Apprentice Standards qualifications, you will be given a credential notice.
- You and your employer will submit the credential notice, the Apprentice Application (Form #1488), and fee ($10.00) to the Department of Safety and Professional Services, P.O. Box 8935, Madison, WI 53708-8935. If you have past convictions or pending charges, you will be required to submit Form #2252, $8.00 fee, and accompanying documents.
- The Department of Safety and Professional Services will issue the apprentice permit after the application is approved. You may begin to work after your permit is issued. Your permit will be valid for three (3) years.
- When all theory and practical training hours have been completed, you may not continue practicing in the establishment under the apprentice permit. You must obtain a temporary practitioner's permit by completing an examination application and remitting the appropriate fees. To apply for the examination and the 6-month temporary permit, please apply online with DL Roope Administations Inc. at http://www.dlroope.com/wisconsin.cfm?state=10. Information on the exam content can be found on this website.
- When an apprentice completes or discontinues training, the Bureau of Apprenticeship Standards must be notified immediately.
Pre-Credential Education Information
In order to complete apprenticeship training, applicants must have 288 training hours of instruction in theory at an approved school of barbering or cosmetology and 3,712 hours of practical training. Training must be at least 32 hours per week and be completed in not less than 2 or more than 4 years.
Application for Licensure
1488||Application for Apprentice Contract and Permit|
1502||Apprentice Daily Record|
3085||Application for Predetermination|
2252||Convictions and Pending Charges|
3071||Fax Payment Form|