Dance Therapist

Now Live: Easier Online License Applications and ​Renewals!

​LicensE is your online, self-guided occupational license application platform. 

Please review the helpful links below:

  • Find step-by-step instruction for license renewal here.
  • Find a list of license renewals available via LicensE in the chart on the LicensE Customer Information page.
  • Find all licenses available via LicensE, plus user guides and other resources, on the LicensE Customer Information page.
  • Anyone applying for an initial license for any of the credentials listed can apply at

Our LicensE Application Status Lookup tool makes it easier for employees, and helps academic advisors support students during the license application process. To access the Application Status Lookup tool, you will need the applicant's 10-digit PAR number. An applicant may provide the number to anyone who could support their application. Find more information in our news release about this tool. ​​

​License Information

Per Wis. Stat. § 440.08 (2), the required renewal date for the Dance Therapist credential is 09/30/even odd years.  Should you receive your initial credential in the months leading up to this date, you are still required to renew your license by the statutorily defined date.

Applicants must be certified, registered or accredited as Dance Therapists by the American Dance Therapy Association or another national organization that certifies registers or accredits Dance Therapists.

In order to practice psychotherapy, a registered dance therapist must submit an application for psychotherapy and provide evidence of additional qualifications. The state examination must be passed prior to taking the National Exam.

Pre-Credential Education Information

A Master's degree in dance therapy from an accredited university and a program that is approved by the American Dance Movement Therapist Association (ADTA). Candidates with a masters or doctoral degree in a human services-related field may be eligible for licensing through an alternate route approved by the ADTA.

Application for Licensure

2427Credentialing Information for Music, Art, or Dance Therapist Registration Applicants
​3217​Application for Fee Reduction (If applying for a fee reduction, this form must accompany the application for the credential.)
2426Request for Verification of Certification, Registration or Accreditation ​​(Complete this form and forward to the organization where you are Certified, Registered, or Accredited.)
2829Malpractice Suits or Claims Form (if applicable)
​3085​Application for Predetermination (Optional-Submit ONLY if you have been convicted of any felony, misdemeanor, or other violations of federal or state law in this state or any other and you desire a review of your conviction record before applying for a credential.)​
2252​Convictions and Pending Charges

Application for License to Practice Psychotherapy

2575Credentialing Information for Music, Art, or Dance License to Practice Psychotherapy Applicants
2585Certificate of Professional Education (This form must be completed by your school and sent directly to the Department.)
2586Affidavit of Supervisor

Renewal Information


  • FEE (See Renewal Dates and Fees)
  • SIG [Signature regarding current certification with a national organization identified under Wis. Admin. Code § SPS 141.01(4)​]
  • If your legal status as a qualified alien or nonimmigrant lawfully present in the United States has changed since the issuance of your credential or your last renewal, please contact the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services at (608) 266-2112 or

Renewal Method

RDAFRenewal Dates and Fees
R210Active Duty/Discharge Renewal Extension

Wisconsin Act 210 (effective June 1, 2012)

This Act extends the license of a service member if the license expires while they are on active duty from 90 days to 180 days from the date of discharge. The same applies to a spouse of a service member if the spouse does not practice under their license while the service member is on active duty and does not practice because the service member is on active duty.

This Act repeals a provision of prior law that required a service member to meet all of the requirements for license extension or renewal, except for continuing education requirements, in order to have the license extended.

Service members and spouses may request extensions of licenses beyond 180 days from discharge and may request a waiver or extension of time to complete continuing education requirements due to hardship.  Please view Active Duty/Discharge Renewal Extension Form #R210.