Wis. Stat. § 440.08 (2), the required renewal date for the Prevention Specialist In Training credential is 02/28/odd years. Should you receive your initial credential in the months leading up to this date, you are still required to renew your license by the statutorily defined date.
Must have a high school diploma, HSED or GED
40 hours of education and training covering the prevention domain areas (see below). At least 5 hours shall be in ethics.
"Prevention Domains" means the areas of knowledge essential to the validity of the prevention process and include the following:
Domain 1: Planning and Evaluation
- Use needs assessment strategies to gather relevant data for ATOD prevention planning.
- Identify gaps and prioritize needs based on the assessment of community conditions.
- Select prevention strategies, programs, and best practices to meet the identified needs of the community.
- Develop an ATOD prevention plan based on research and theory that addresses community needs and desired outcomes.
- Identify resources to sustain prevention activities.
- Identify appropriate ATOD prevention program evaluation strategies.
- Conduct evaluation activities to document program implementation and effectiveness.
- Use evaluation findings to determine whether and how to adapt ATOD prevention.
Domain 2: Education and Skill Development
- Develop ATOD prevention education and skill development activities based on target audience analysis.
- Connect prevention theory and practice to implement effective prevention education and skill development activities. Maintain program fidelity when implementing evidence-based programs.
- Assure that ATOD education and skill activities are appropriate to the culture of the community being served.
- Use appropriate instructional strategies to meet the needs of the target audience.
- Ensure all ATOD prevention education and skill development programs provide accurate, relevant, timely, and appropriate content information.
- Identify, adapt, or develop instructor and participant materials for use when implementing ATOD prevention activities.
- Provide professionals in related fields with accurate, relevant, timely, and appropriate ATOD prevention information.
- Provide technical assistance to community members and organizations regarding ATOD prevention strategies and best practices.
Domain 3: Community Organization
- Identify the community's demographic characteristics and core values.
- Identify key community leaders to ensure diverse representation in ATOD prevention programming activities.
- Build community ownership of ATOD prevention programs by collaborating with key community leaders/members when planning, implementing and evaluation prevention activities.
- Provide technical assistance to community members/leaders in implementing ATOD prevention activities.
- Develop capacity within the community by recruiting, training, and monitoring ATOD, prevention focused volunteers.
- Assist in creating and sustaining community-based coalitions
Domain 4: Public Policy and Environmental Change
- Examine the community's public policies and norms to determine environmental change needs.
- Make recommendations to policy makers/stakeholders that will positively influence the community's public policies and norms. Provide technical assistance, training, and consultation that promote environmental change.
- Participate in public policy development and enforcement initiatives to affect environmental change.
- Use media strategies to enhance prevention efforts in the community.
Domain 5: Professional Growth and Responsibility
- Maintain personal knowledge, skills, and abilities related to current ATOD prevention theory and practice.
- Network with others to develop personal and professional relationships.
- Adhere to all legal, professional, and ethical standards.
- Build skills necessary for effectively working within the cultural context of the community.
- Demonstrate self-care consistent with ATOD prevention.
Application for Licensure
|2745||Application for Prevention Specialist In Training |
|2781||Education and Training Form |
|2829||Malpractice Suits or Claims Form (if applicable)|
|2252||Convictions and Pending Charges|
|3071||Fax Payment Form|