2017 Wisconsin Act 278, beginning August 1, 2018, prior to submitting an application for a credential, an individual may apply to the Department for a determination of whether the individual would be disqualified from obtaining the credential due to his or her conviction record. To apply for a predetermination, please fill out
Form #3085 and submit all required documentation specified on the form. Pursuant to
Wis. Stat. §
111.335(4)(e), the offenses or kinds of offenses that may result in a refusal, bar, or termination of licensure are published under Additional Resources on the left side of this page.
Pursuant to 2017 Wisconsin Act 319, beginning August 1, 2018, an applicant for an initial credential may apply for a reduction of the initial credential fee that is equal to 10% of the initial fee. Qualification is based on the federal adjusted gross income being at or below 180% of the federal poverty guideline prescribed for the applicant's family household size by the United States Department of Health and Human Services. To determine eligibility please visit the United States Department of Health and Human Services website at https://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty-guidelines, prior to submitting Form 3217.
Per Wisconsin State Statutes 440.08 (2), the required renewal date for the Certified Public Accountant credential is December 14th of each odd-numbered year. Should you receive your initial credential in the months leading up to this date, you are still required to renew your license by the statutorily defined date.
Wis. Stat. § 440.08 (2), the required renewal date for the Sign Language Interpreter (Restricted) credential is 08/31/odd years. Should you receive your initial credential in the months leading up to this date, you are still required to renew your license by the statutorily defined date.
Complete training and experience by one of the following methods and submit the appropriate application form, including all required documentation.
Method 1 Requirements
- Associate degree in sign language interpretation
or a certificate of completion of an education and training program regarding such interpretation.
Plus one of the following:
- Any valid certification granted by the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf, Inc. or its successor. (Complete Form #2926)
- A valid certification level 3, 4 or 5 granted by the National Association of the Deaf or its successor. (Complete Form #2932)
- Any valid certification granted by any other organization that the department determines is substantially equivalent to a certification specified in first preceding bullet point
Method #2 Requirements
- Satisfactory evidence of all of the following:
- Letter from physician diagnosing the applicant as deaf or hard of hearing.
- Evidence of completion of 8 hours or training sponsored by RID or its successor on the role and function of deaf interpreters.
- Evidence of completion of 8 hours of training sponsored by RID or its successor on professional ethics.
- Letters of recommendation from at least three (3) individuals who have held national certification for at least five (5) years and who are members in good standing of RID or its successor providing evidence that applicant has completed at least 40 hours of mentoring including at least 20 hours of observing professional work and at least 10 hours observing certified deaf interpreters. (Complete Form #2931)
- Evidence of completion of at least 40 hours of training consisting of workshops sponsored by RID or its successor other relevant courses.
- Evidence that applicant is an associate or student member of RID or its successor.
- Evidence of a high school diploma or an equivalent.
- Identification and license number of applicant's supervising licensed interpreter.
Application for Licensure
2924||Sign Language Interpreter License Application (Restricted) (Required for all methods) |
Application for Fee Reduction (This form must accompany the application for the credential)
2928||Sign Language Interpreter Certificate of Professional Education or Training Program Completion |
2926||Request for Verification of Membership And/or Certification of RID (Required for all methods)|
2930||Request for Verification of Certification of WITA Certification Level (Complete if applying by Method 1)|
|3206||Request for Verification of Board of Evaluations of Interpreters (BEI) Certification
(Required for all methods)|
2931||Sign Language Interpreter (Restricted) Letter of Recommendation Form (Complete this form if applying by Method 2)|
3085||Application for Predetermination|
2252||Convictions and Pending Charges|
3071||Fax Payment Form|