2017 Wisconsin Act 278, beginning August 1, 2018, prior to submitting an application for a credential, an individual may apply to the Department for a determination of whether the individual would be disqualified from obtaining the credential due to his or her conviction record. To apply for a predetermination, please fill out
Form 3085 and submit all required documentation specified on the form. Pursuant to
Wis. Stat. §
111.335(4)(e), the offenses or kinds of offenses that may result in a refusal, bar, or termination of licensure are published under Additional Resources on the left side of this page.
2017 Wisconsin Act 319, beginning August 1, 2018, an applicant for an initial credential may apply for a reduction of the initial credential fee that is equal to 10% of the initial fee. Qualification is based on the federal adjusted gross income being at or below 180% of the federal poverty guideline prescribed for the applicant's family household size by the United States Department of Health and Human Services. To determine eligibility please visit the United States Department of Health and Human Services website at
https://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty-guidelines, prior to submitting
Wis. Stat. § 440.08 (2), the required renewal date for the Sign Language Interpreter Intermediate Deaf credential is 08/31/odd years. Should you receive your initial credential in the months leading up to this date, you are still required to renew your license by the statutorily defined date.
Complete training and experience by one of the following methods and submit the appropriate application form, including all required documentation.
- Proof of a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Evidence of completion of at least 40 hours of deaf interpreter training curriculum approved by the Department.
- Evidence of successful completion of at least 16 hours of Sign Language Interpretation services-related training approved by the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf, Inc., or the Board for Evaluation of Interpreters, or substantially equivalent training as determined by the Department.
- Evidence of successful completion of American Sign Language Linguistics I and II or substantially equivalent coursework as determined by the Department.
- Two Letters of Recommendation from individuals who hold a Sign Language Interpreter-Advanced Deaf license, a Certified Deaf Interpreter Certification issued by the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf, Inc.,
or an equivalent Certification as determined by the Department. Letters must show successful completion of at least 25 hours of observing sign language interpretation services provided to clients.
Application for Licensure
|3227||Sign Language Interpreter Intermediate Deaf License Application|
|2928||Sign Language Interpreter Certificate of Professional Education or Training Program Completion |
3226||Recommendation Request Form|
|3228||Exemption Request Form|
3217||Application for Fee Reduction (this form
must accompany the application for the credential if requesting a fee reduction)|
3085||Application for Predetermination|
2829||Malpractice Suites or Claims (if applicable)|
2252||Convictions and Pending Charges (if applicable)|
3071||Fax Payment Form|