Now Live: Easier Online License Applications and Renewals!
LicensE is your online, self-guided occupational license application platform.
Please review the helpful links below:
- Find step-by-step instruction for license renewal here.
- Find a list of license renewals available via LicensE in the chart on the LicensE Customer Information page.
- Find all licenses available via LicensE, plus user guides and other resources, on the LicensE Customer Information page.
- Anyone applying for an initial license for any of the credentials listed can apply at license.wi.gov.
Our LicensE Application Status Lookup tool makes it easier for employees, and helps academic advisors support students during the license application process. To access the Application Status Lookup tool, you will need the applicant's 10-digit PAR number. An applicant may provide the number to anyone who could support their application. Find more information in our news release about this tool.
Wis. Stat. § 440.08(2), the required renewal date for the Substance Abuse Counselor-In-Training credential is 02/28/odd years. Should you receive your initial credential in the months leading up to this date, you are still required to renew your license by the statutorily defined date. Note: Per Wis. Stat. § 440.88(4), renewal of certification as a substance abuse counselor-in-training may be made only twice. The supervised work experience required for a SAC certification pursuant to Wis. Admin. Code § SPS 161.02(6) must be completed within the timeframe of the original certification plus two (2) renewal periods.
2017 Wisconsin Act 262, as of May 1, 2018, the requirements to obtain a Substance Abuse Counselor in-training credential have changed.
- Complete pre-credential education (see below).
- Provide evidence of current employment, a written offer of employment, internship, practicum or agreement authorizing volunteer hours at an agency providing substance use disorder treatment.
- Must provide Employment Verification (Form #2770) from a qualified supervisor.
After June 1, 2008, a credential holder acquiring supervised experience as a Substance Abuse Counselor In-Training may not practice under the supervision of an individual holding a certificate as a Clinical Supervisor-In-Training.
- Complete and submit Application for Substance Abuse Counselor In Training including all required documentation and pay required fee.
- Successfully complete required examination.
- Note: Per Wis. Stat. § 440.88(4), renewal of certification as a substance abuse counselor-in-training may be made only twice. The supervised work experience required for a SAC certification pursuant to Wis. Admin. Code § SPS 161.02(6) must be completed within the timeframe of the original certification plus two (2) renewal periods.
Pre-Credential Education Information
Substance abuse education must include at least 100 hours of specialized education in the performance dimensions of assessment, counseling, case management, patient education and professional responsibility. See
Substance Abuse Counselor In-Training Core Curriculum
|CONTENT AREA ||HOURS |
|Substance Abuse Assessment||15|
|Substance Abuse Counseling||15|
|Substance Abuse Case Management||10|
|Substance Abuse Education||15|
|Substance Abuse Professional Responsibility||20|
|Electives within the performance domains listed above||25|
The training hours shall be in seminars, courses or other presentations that meet the criteria for pre-certification education programs for substance abuse counselors or continuing education programs.
All of the content areas shall be infused with information and application to practice that is responsive to the characteristics of individual, group, family, and couple clients and significant others seeking substance use disorder treatment, including, but not limited to, age, gender, ability, disability, developmental level, sexual orientation, health status, ethnicity, culture, and social issues.
The total number of contact hours submitted must equal 100. Submit Education and Training (Form #2832) at the time of application along with proof of attendance, completion and course descriptions.
Note: A requirement to advance to Substance Abuse Counselor or Clinical Substance Abuse Counselor licensure is attendance and completion of 360 hours of approved specialized education in substance use disorder counseling through a postsecondary institution, department approved education program or department approved continuing education. See Wis. Admin. Code § SPS 161.02.
Current Pre-Certification Education - Current list of Approved Pre-Certification Courses. Additional programs will be added as programs apply and are approved.
Former Pre-Certification Education - Formerly-Approved Pre-Certification Programs.
Educators: To apply for approval of a 360 hour comprehensive program , see application procedure:
Form 2848 - Application Instructions
Form 2784 - Course Application Information
Application for Licensure
2743||Credentialing Information for Substance Abuse Counselor In-Training Applicants|
|3217||Application for Fee Reduction (If applying for a fee reduction, this form must accompany the LicensE application for the credential.) |
3079||Certificate of Completion of Department-Approved Comprehensive Substance Abuse Education Program (360 Hour Program) (For applicants who have completed a Department approved 360 hour program.)|
|2832||Education and Training Form (For applicants who have completed 100 hours of specialized education.)|
2770||Employment Verification Form |
2829||Malpractice Suits or Claims Form (if applicable)|
|3085||Application for Predetermination (Optional-Submit ONLY if you have been convicted of any felony, misdemeanor, or other violations of federal or state law in this state or any other and you desire a review of your conviction record before applying for a credential.)|
2252||Convictions and Pending Charges (if applicable)|