Nurse Midwife

Now Live: Easier Online License Applications and ​Renewals!

​LicensE is your online, self-guided occupational license application platform. 

Please review the helpful links below:

  • Find step-by-step instruction for license renewal here.
  • Find a list of license renewals available via LicensE in the chart on the LicensE Customer Information page.
  • Find all licenses available via LicensE, plus user guides and other resources, on the LicensE Customer Information page.
  • Anyone applying for an initial license for any of the credentials listed can apply at

Our LicensE Application Status Lookup tool makes it easier for employees, and helps academic advisors support students during the license application process. To access the Application Status Lookup tool, you will need the applicant's 10-digit PAR number. An applicant may provide the number to anyone who could support their application. Find more information in our news release about this tool. ​​


License Information

Per Wis. Stat. § 440.08 (2), the required renewal date for the Nurse Midwife credential is 02/28 or 29/even years.  Should you receive your initial credential in the months leading up to this date, you are still required to renew your license by the statutorily defined date.

  • Must possess a current Registered Nurse license in Wisconsin or a multi-state Registered Nurse license in a compact state.
  • Completion of an educational program in nurse-midwifery approved by the American College of Nurse-Midwives.
  • Complete and submit Application for Certification as a Nurse-Midwife including all required documentation.
  • Prior to obtaining certification from the American College of Nurse-Midwives an applicant may be able to obtain a temporary permit.
    • To obtain a temporary permit, the application must be submitted to the Department and the $10.00 temporary permit fee must be paid.
    • Applicants practicing under temporary permits are required to be directly supervised by either a nurse-midwife or a physician. 
  • Obtain certification from American College of Nurse-Midwives.
  • Board review of application.

Application for Licensure


Credentialing Information for Nurse-Midwife Applicants​
​3217​Application for Fee Reduction (If applying for a fee reduction, this form must accompany Form #407.)

Certification Form for Malpractice Insurance Coverage for Nurse-Midwife

Certification of Nurse-Midwifery Degree

​Request for a Temporary Permit for Nurse-Midwife
​2829​Malpractice Suits or Claims Form (If applicable)
​Application for Predetermination (Optional-Submit only if you have been convicted of any felony, misdemeanor, or other violations of federal, state, or local law, including municipal ordinances, in this state or any other and you desire a review of your conviction record before applying for a credential.)
​Convictions and Pending Charges (If applicable)

Retirement or Inactive Status

There is not a​​ "retired" or "inactive" status for this credential.  If you are retiring or moving out of state, and do not plan to work under your Wisconsin license, you may simply let your license expire. If you choose to allow your license to expire, you may renew it any point within 5 years from the date of expiration by incurring an additional $25.00 late renewal fee.  If your license is expired for 5 years or more and you wish to renew, you will need to complete a late renewal after 5 years application.​​

Renewal Information


  • FEE (See Renewal Dates and Fees)
  • SIG (Signature regarding current malpractice insurance)
  • SVY (Nursing Workforce Survey is required to renew and is available during the open renewal period.) (After this time frame, the survey is shortened and incorporated into the renewal questions.*-Please see below.)
  • RES (Report state of Primary Residency)
  • If your legal status as a qualified alien or nonimmigrant lawfully present in the United States has changed since the issuance of your credential or your last renewal, please contact the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services at (608) 266-2112 or

*On November 14, 2013, the Wisconsin Board of Nursing moved to allow the DSPS and the DWD to accept a shortened version of the survey outside of the active renewal cycle, which begins 7-8 weeks prior to the renewal deadline.  After the renewal deadline, licensees will need to complete the shortened survey to fulfill the renewal requirements.  The shortened version of the survey will be incorporated into the renewal questions and will not be provided as a separate link.

Wisconsin is a member of the Nurse Licensure Compact, please visit the NCSBN website for more details.

If you also hold a Wisconsin Registered Nurse license, renewing the Nurse Midwife license will automatically renew your Registered Nurse license, unless you are a Primary Resident of another Compact State.

Renewal Method

RDAFRenewal Dates and Fees
R210Active Duty/Discharge Renewal Extension
​Convictions and Pending Charges​ (If applicable for renewal)

Wisconsin Act 210 (effective June 1, 2012)

This Act extends the license of a service member if the license expires while they are on active duty from 90 days to 180 days from the date of discharge. The same applies to a spouse of a service member if the spouse does not practice under their license while the service member is on active duty and does not practice because the service member is on active duty.

This Act repeals a provision of prior law that required a service member to meet all of the requirements for license extension or renewal, except for continuing education requirements, in order to have the license extended.

Service members and spouses may request extensions of licenses beyond 180 days from discharge and may request a waiver or extension of time to complete continuing education requirements due to hardship. Please view Active Duty/Discharge Renewal Extension Form #R210.