2017 Wisconsin Act 278, beginning August 1, 2018, prior to submitting an application for a credential, an individual may apply to the Department for a determination of whether the individual would be disqualified from obtaining the credential due to his or her conviction record. To apply for a predetermination, please fill out
Form 3085 and submit all required documentation specified on the form. Pursuant to
Wis. Stat. §
111.335(4)(e), the offenses or kinds of offenses that may result in a refusal, bar, or termination of licensure are published under Additional Resources on the left side of this page.
Pursuant to 2017 Wisconsin Act 319, beginning August 1, 2018, an applicant for an initial credential may apply for a reduction of the initial credential fee that is equal to 10% of the initial fee. Qualification is based on the federal adjusted gross income being at or below 180% of the federal poverty guideline prescribed for the applicant's family household size by the United States Department of Health and Human Services. To determine eligibility please visit the United States Department of Health and Human Services website at https://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty-guidelines, prior to submitting Form 3217.
Wis. Stat. § 440.08 (2), the required renewal date for the Sign Language Interpreter Advanced Hearing credential is 08/31/odd years. Should you receive your initial credential in the months leading up to this date, you are still required to renew your license by the statutorily defined date.
Complete training and experience by one of the following methods and submit the Sign Language Interpreter Application, including all required documentation.
Method 1 - Must satisfy all of the following:
Method 2 - Applicant was issued before 7/19/2019 and maintains in good standing, Certification of any of the following:
- Proof of earning an Associate's degree in Sign Language Interpretation or equivalent.
- Evidence of successful completion of an Interpreter Training Program.
- Evidence of passing the Advanced or Master Performance examination and certification by the Board for Evaluation of Interpreters
or Evidence of passing the examination and holding the National Interpreter Certification issued by the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf, Inc.
or evidence of passing an equivalent examination as determined by the Department.
- National Interpreter Certification (NIC), Advanced or Master Level National Interpreter Certification (NIC-Advanced or NIC-Master), Certificate of Interpretation (CI), Certificate of Transliteration (CT), Comprehensive Skills Certificate (CSC), Master Comprehensive Skills Certificate (MCSC), Interpretation Certificate (IC), or Transliteration Certificate (TC), issued by the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf, Inc.
- The National Association of the Deaf III, IV, or V Certification.
- The Advanced or Master Certification of the Board for Evaluation of Interpreters.
Application for Licensure
3227||Sign Language Interpreter Advanced Hearing License Application (required for all methods) |
2928||Sign Language Interpreter Certificate of Professional Education or Training Program Completion|
2926 ||Request for Verification of Membership And/or Certification of RID|
3206||Request for Verification of Board of Evaluations of Interpreters (BEI) Certification|
3228||Exemption Request Form|
|3217||Application for Fee Reduction (this form
must accompany the application for the credential if requesting a fee reduction)|
|3085||Application for Predetermination|
2252||Convictions and Pending Charges (if applicable)|
|2829||Malpractice Suits or Claims Form (if applicable)|
3071||Fax Payment Form|