Wis. Stat. § 440.08 (2), the required renewal date for the Substance Abuse Counselor credential is 02/28/odd years. Should you receive your initial credential in the months leading up to this date, you are still required to renew your license by the statutorily defined date.
- Must have high school diploma, HSED or GED.
360 hours of Department approved specialized education in substance use disorder counseling within a comprehensive program.
- Complete and submit Application for Substance Abuse Counselor including all required documentation and pay required fee.
- DSPS reviews application and makes applicant eligible for ICRC Alcohol & Drug Counselor (ADC)examination. Examinations may be taken after completion of education, before experience is completed.
- Successful completion of required examinations.
- Submit verification of completion of 4,000 hours of patient counseling experience performing the 8 practice dimensions as a Substance Abuse Counselor, supervised as described in (Form #2749), within 5 years immediately preceding the date of application. 4,000 hours of work experience shall include the following:
- 2,000 hours performing the 8 practice dimensions with patients who have primary substance use disorder diagnosis.
- 1,000 hours in substance use disorder counseling with at least 500 hours is a one-on-one individual modality setting.
- A minimum of 200 hours of counseling during the 12 month period immediately proceeding the date of application, of which 100 hours shall have been completed using individual modality setting.
- Experience in excess of 40 hours per week or 2,000 hours per year will not be accepted.
Educational Equivalencies – Substance Abuse Counselor
Successful completion of education resulting in a degree approved by the Department in a field with an addiction emphasis or concentration from a clinical program approved by the Department in a field that may be used to satisfy, in part, the experience requirement. The possession of the following degrees shall be exchanged for experience at the following rate:
- An associate degree will equal 500 hours of supervised experience.
- A bachelor degree will equal 1,000 hours of supervised experience.
- A master or doctoral degree will equal 2,000 hours of supervised experience.
- Complete and submit Supervised Experience (Form #2749)
Pre-Credential Education Information
- Complete 360 hours of Department approved specialized education in substance use disorder counseling within a comprehensive program.
Educators: To apply for approval of a 360-hour comprehensive program, see application procedure:
- Form 2848 - Application Instructions
- Form 2784 - Course Application Information
- The training shall be in a comprehensive program or degree program approved by the Department, except for those having an accumulation of 100 or more hours as of March 1, 2007. An applicant who previously held a certificate from the Wisconsin Certification Board and can provide documentation of accumulation of 100 or more hours of approved specialized education as of March 1, 2007, may submit proof of completion of the balance of the 360 hours from sources other than a comprehensive program.
Application for Licensure
|2743||Application for Substance Abuse Counselor|
|2749||Affidavit Regarding Supervised Experience |
|3079||Certificate of Completion of Dept. Approved Comprehensive Substance Abuse Education Program (360 Hour Program) For applicants who have completed a Department approved 360 hour program|
|2868||ICRC Exam Registration Instructions |
|2829||Malpractice Suits or Claims Form (If applicable)|
|2252||Convictions and Pending Charges|
|3071||Fax Payment Form|