Globe University

​​Information Pertaining to the Closure of Globe University

Globe University (Globe) officially discontinued operations at its Wisconsin campuses on December 31, 2016, following a decision by the U.S. Department of Education (USDOE) to end Globe's participation in the federal student aid programs. Administration of those campuses has been transferred for purposes of a teach-out to Broadview University, a Utah-based partner institution that will allow students to complete their programs. In 2021, the school changed to Broadview College.

An announcement and a press release regarding the USDOE action are available on its website.


Students and past graduates of Globe University - Wisconsin campuses can access their records or obtain an official transcript by submitting a Student Record Request Form to the EAP.

To obtain an official copy of a student transcript or record, submit a Student Record Request Form or letter providing the name of the school, your name and any other name used at the time the school was attended, last four digits of the social security number, date of birth, current address, and the complete name and address where transcripts/records should be sent. Requests must be made by mail to the following address. No facsimiles or e-mails will be accepted. There is a $10.00 fee for each transcript/record. Checks should be made payable to the Educational Approval Program. Payment must accompany request.


Educational Approval Program

Attn: Transcript Requests

P.O. Box 8366,

Madison, WI 53708-8366​

FedEx or UPS

4822 Madison Yards Way, 3rd Floor

Attn: Educational Approval Program

Madison, WI 53705​

 Transcripts for Minnesota campuses are maintained by the Minnesota Office of Higher Education and may be requested on their website.

Information for Students Enrolled at the Time of Closure OR Who Withdrew on or After September 2, 2016

A Fact Sheet prepared by the USDOE on the closure of Globe contains information regarding transcripts, loan discharge, transfer of credits, federal financial aid, and loan processors. Please visit their website for more information.

Wisconsin students who were enrolled at the time of closure or who withdrew not more than 120 days prior to the closure (on or after September 2, 2016) have five options regarding their education:

  1. Option 1 - Participate in the teach-out whereby students would complete their program of study at Broadview University (at current Globe locations). Under the teach-out students would continue to receive federal financial aid. Students needed to be registered for the teach-out prior to the closure.

  2. Option 2 - Transfer Globe credits to a similar program at another institution, (and likely have to complete additional credits to graduate).

  3. Option 3 - Transfer Globe credits to, and complete a different program of study at another institution (and likely have to complete more additional credits to graduate).

  4. Option 4 - Enroll at a different institution without transferring any Globe credits.

  5. Option 5 - Discontinue their education.

Important Note: These options have implications for the ability of students to discharge federal loans and to receive assistance with tuition paid with private loans or out-of-pocket resources.

Students with Federal Loans

To qualify for a discharge of federal student loans, students:

  • must have been enrolled at Globe at the time of closure or in the preceding 120 days.
  • must not have completed their program at Globe.
  • must not have transferred Globe credits to a comparable program of study at a different institution, where they are in the process of completing, or have completed their program.
  • must not have participated in a teach-out of their program with Globe or another institution, where they are in the process of completing, or have completed their program.

In essence, students enrolled at the time of closure or in the 120 days prior to it are entitled to a closed school federal loan discharge if they did not complete their program while at Globe, and if they are not in the process of completing or have completed a comparable program at another institution through a teach-out or via transfer of credits from Globe.

Options 1 and 2 (from the previous section) negate the student’s ability to discharge federal loans, provided the student completes the program. Students who have chosen either option 1 or 2, and who are in the process of completing, or who have completed, the program would not be eligible to apply for a loan discharge. This is because under federal rules they would be completing a comparable/similar educational program at another school, either:

  • through a teach-out agreement with the school.
  • by transferring academic credits or hours earned at the closed school to another school.
  • by any other comparable means.

The USDOE has provided additional guidance on what constitutes a comparable program.

Options 3, 4, and 5 (from the previous section) are consistent with a student’s ability to discharge federal loans (provided other criteria are met, and students are enrolled at the time of closure or in the preceding 120 days).

With regard to Option 3, students who transfer credits to pursue a completely different program are eligible to apply for a loan discharge provided they are enrolled at Globe at the time of, or within 120 days of the closure, the loan servicer determines the completely program is different, and the student finishes the new program at the new institution.

With regard to Option 4, students who enroll at a different institution without transferring any Globe credits are eligible to apply for a loan discharge provided they were enrolled at Globe at the time of, or within 120 days of the closure.

With regard to Option 5, students who do not continue their education are eligible to apply for a loan discharge provided they were enrolled at Globe at the time of, or within 120 days of the closure.

Globe students interested in transferring credits should contact other institutions to discuss their options.

To apply for a closed school discharge, a Closed School Loan Discharge Application must be completed and returned to your loan servicer. If you do not know your loan servicer, log in to My Federal Student Aid or call 1-800-4-FED-AID. Questions about the student loan discharge process, continuing one's education at a different institution, or other federal financial aid related issues should be directed to your student loan servicer or the US Department of Education email or (800) 433-3243.

Students with Private Student Loans or Out-of-Pocket Tuition Payments

Students enrolled at the time of, or within 120 days of the closure who used private (non-federal) loans to help cover the cost of their tuition, or who made out-of-pocket tuition payments, may be able to receive a refund through the EAP, if those loans were used to cover the cost of tuition to attend Globe.

Students who had a private student loan that was used to pay tuition or made out-of-pocket tuition payments will need to substantiate such payments and provide the EAP with relevant paperwork, including a completed IRS Form W-9. Requests for reimbursement must include a receipt of payment, evidence of that the funds were used for payment of Globe tuition (not other education-related expenses), and an original completed and signed W-9 form.

Students requesting reimbursement of private student loan payments (used to pay tuition) or out-of-pocket tuition payments should contact the EAP. They will need to substantiate such payments and provide the EAP with the following:

  • name, address, email address, and phone number.
  • a transcript demonstrating you were enrolled at the time of closure or in the 120 days prior to it;
  • an original, completed and signed IRS Form W-9.

  • receipt of payment from the school demonstrating funds were used for payment of tuition (not other education-related expenses).
  • relevant bank statements and/or cancelled checks.
  • a summary layout of all out-of-pocket or private loan payments with a total amount noted.
  • a completed “Student Protection Fund Attestation” form (to be provided to you by the EAP).

All information comprising the request for reimbursement must be mailed or dropped off in hard copy form to the address at the bottom of this page. No facsimiles or e-mails will be accepted.

Accessing your Globe Transcript and Ledger Card

Students who were enrolled at the time of closure or in the 120 days prior to it will have access to the student database to access their ledger cards and transcripts via Globe’s Campus Connect system. Students may also contact the Globe Service Desk at 651-332-8100, toll free: 1-877-862-0662, or via email at <>.

Information for Former Globe Students Who Completed a Program or Withdrew More than 120 Days Prior to Closure

Borrower Defense to Repayment

Students who completed a program or who withdrew more than 120 days prior to the closure of Globe are not eligible for discharge of their federal loans under conventional USDOE processes and procedures. Students who believe they were defrauded by their school or that their school violated state law may be eligible for loan discharge. The law requires borrowers to submit a claim in order to receive debt relief. Details on the Act and the process for submitting a claim are laid out on the federal government’s student aid website​.

As the website notes, students making claims need to include details about the conduct of the school that the borrower believes violated state law including, but not limited to the following:

  • The state and applicable law or cause of action (if available);
  • Specific acts (including failures to act) of alleged misconduct by the school;
  • How the alleged misconduct affected the borrower’s decision to attend the school and take out a loan to pay to attend the school;
  • The injury suffered by the borrower as a result of the school’s alleged misconduct; and,
  • Any other supporting information that would help the U.S. Department of Education review the borrower’s claim.

Some students work with an attorney to file a claim, but this is not a requirement. Students considering filing a claim may wish to call the federal government’s borrower defense hotline at (855) 279-6207. Representatives are available Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., Eastern time to access student loan information and to discuss one’s situation and whether one may qualify for forgiveness of student debt. Questions about borrower defense may also be e-mailed to FSA Operations.

1098-T Tax Forms

The 1098-T tax forms used to substantiate tuition paid when filing 2016 taxes will likely be mailed out (to the most recent address on file with Globe) directly by the accounting firm that is working with Globe beginning in early 2017.