ITT Technical Institute

​​​​​Information Pertaining to the Closure of ITT Technical Institute

The following information is being provided to students affected by the closure of ITT Technical Institute. New information will be posted as it becomes available. In addition, the U.S. Department of Education (USDOE) has posted important information and resources for students on its website.

Information on Obtaining Student Transcripts

ITT Records for Students Who Attended After 2001

Before it ceased administrative operations, ITT Technical Institute entered into a contract with Parchment, a digital credential service, to be the official record provider for all credentials issued by ITT, including transcripts and diplomas. Additional information about requesting a transcript or diploma is available on the Parchment website.

Students who have difficulty requesting a transcript on-line may contact Parchment by phone at (480) 719-1646, or through their website.

ITT Records for Wisconsin Students Who Attended Prior to 2001

The Educational Approval Program recently acquired the records for ITT Technical Institute for Wisconsin students who attended ITT Tech at a Wisconsin campus prior to 2001. If you need to request your transcript, please use the following instructions:

To obtain an official copy of a student transcript or record, submit a Student Record Request Form(90 KB) or letter providing the name of the school, your name and any other name used at the time the school was attended, last four digits of the social security number, date of birth, current address, and the complete name and address where transcripts/records should be sent. Requests must be made by mail to the following address. No facsimiles or e-mails will be accepted. There is a $10.00 fee for each transcript/record. Checks should be made payable to the Educational Approval Program. Payment must accompany request.

Educational Approval Program
Attention: Transcript Requests
P.O. Box 8366,
Madison, WI 53708-8366​

Information for Students Enrolled at the Time of Closure OR Who Withdrew on or After May 6, 2016

Students with federal student loans who were enrolled at the time of closure or 120 days prior to it have 3 options:

  • Apply for a federal student loan discharge AND transfer ITT credits to, and complete, a different program of study at another institution.
  • Apply for a federal student loan discharge without transferring credits.
  • Transfer ITT credits to a similar program at another institution. This option negates the student’s ability to discharge federal loans, provided the student is in the process of completing, or has completed the comparable program. Students who complete a comparable program would need to pay back federal loans taken out while at ITT.

Federal Student Loan Discharge

The documents referenced below provide information about the federal student loan discharge process and implications related to continuing one's education at another school, provided they are in the process of completing, or have completed the program.

In essence, students enrolled at the time of closure or in the 120 days prior to it are entitled to a closed school federal loan discharge if they did not complete their program while at ITT, and if they are not in the process of completing or have completed a comparable program at another institution via transfer of credits from ITT.

The Educational Approval Program (EAP) believes a loan discharge may be the best option for many students, particularly for those who recently enrolled or whose intended career path may have changed since enrolling.

Students who transfer to another institution in a similar program will not be eligible to have their student loans discharged. It may be possible to receive a discharge and enroll in a completely different program of study, subject to the approval of one's loan servicer. Students who pursue this option, need to complete the new program in order to be eligible for forgiveness of loans taken out while attending ITT.

It is important to stress that students are not eligible for a loan discharge if they are completing a comparable educational program at another school:

  • through a teach-out agreement with the school,
  • by transferring academic credits or hours earned at the closed school to another school,
  • or by any other comparable means.

The USDOE has provided additional guidance on what constitutes a comparable program.

A student whose loan is discharged and who completes a comparable program at another school through any means by which the student benefits from the training provided by the closed school, may have to pay back the loan. The USDOE also advises students that they should not pay for lo​an forgiveness services and to watch out for other types of scams.

To apply for a closed school discharge, a Closed School Loan Discharge Application must be completed and returned to your loan servicer. If you do not know your loan servicer, log in to My Federal Student Aid or call 1-800-4-FED-AID. Questions about the student loan discharge process, continuing one's education at a different institution, or other federal financial aid related issues should be directed to your student loan servicer or the US Department of Education email or (800) 433-3243.

Transferring to a Different Institution

Former ITT students interested in transferring credits should contact other institutions to discuss their options. Students enrolled at the time of closure or in the 120 days prior will need to determine if they are interested in pursuing similar or completely different programs of study. Students who pursue a similar program will not be eligible for a loan discharge if they complete the similar program. Students who pursue a completely different program are eligible for a loan discharge provided the loan servicer determines the completely program is different, and the student finishes the program.

The EAP has compiled a list of institutions at which students may be able to complete the program they were enrolled in at ITT. However, since students are not eligible to have their loans discharged under this scenario, it may not be the best option. Students may be better served by having their federal loans forgiven, and pursuing a new course of study with a different institution, particularly since credits earned at ITT may not fully transfer to another institution.

Private Student Loans | Out-of-pocket Tuition Payments

Students enrolled at the time of closure of in the 120 days prior to closure who used private (non-federal) loans to help cover the cost of their tuition, such as Sallie Mae, Wells Fargo or other lenders should email the EAP.  The EAP may be able to help pay-off some of those loans by using a state fund specifically designed to address school closures, if those loans were used to cover the cost of tuition to attend ITT. Students who made out-of-pocket tuition payments may also be eligible to receive a refund.

Students who had a private student loan that was used to pay tuition or made out-of-pocket tuition payments will need to substantiate such payments and provide the EAP with relevant paperwork, including a completed IRS Form W-9. Requests for reimbursement must include a receipt of payment, evidence of that the funds were used for payment of ITT tuition (not other education-related expenses), and an original completed and signed W-9 form. Requests must be mailed to the address at the bottom of this page. No facsimiles or e-mails will be accepted.

Information for Students who Completed a Program at ITT and Students who Withdrew before May 6, 2016

Borrower Defense to Repayment

Students who graduated from ITT, or who withdrew or were dropped from ITT before May 6, 2016, are not eligible for discharge of their federal loans under conventional US Department of Education processes and procedures.

Students who believe they were defrauded by their school or that their school violated state law may be eligible for loan discharge. The law requires borrowers to submit a claim in order to receive debt relief. Details on the Act and the process for submitting a claim are laid out on the federal government’s student aid website.

As the website notes, students making claims need to include details about the conduct of the school that the borrower believes violated state law including, but not limited to the following:

  • The state and applicable law or cause of action (if available).
  • Specific acts (including failures to act) of alleged misconduct by the school.
  • How the alleged misconduct affected the borrower’s decision to attend the school and take out a loan to pay to attend the school.
  • The injury suffered by the borrower as a result of the school’s alleged misconduct.
  • Any other supporting information that would help the U.S. Department of Education review the borrower’s claim.

Some students work with an attorney to file a claim, but this is not a requirement. Students considering filing a claim may wish to call the federal government’s borrower defense hotline at (855) 279-6207. Representatives are available Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time (ET) to access student loan information and to discuss one’s situation and whether one may qualify for forgiveness of student debt. Questions about borrower defense may also be emailed to FSA Operations.

Information for Recipients of Veterans’ Education Benefits – GI Bill®

Students who were GI Bill recipients can access information on ITT’s closure and its impact on the use of the GI Bill at the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) GI Bill website for information on ITT’s closure and its impact on the use of your GI Bill. To learn more about options or to speak with a representative about benefits, students should contact the VA’s Education Call Center at: (888) 442-4551. Students interested in transferring credits to another institution may be able to find a new program of study using the GI Bill Comparison Tool.

Students who have debt due to VA payments for tuition, fees, books, supplies and housing allowance for academic terms that were not completed due to the school’s closing, will be contacted by the VA. Representatives from the VA will be available to discuss options for veterans and field questions at USDOE-sponsored national webinars focused on informing ITT students about their options and addressing questions and concerns. For dates, times, and other information visit the USDOE website.

Students may also contact the Wisconsin State Approving Agency for additional in-state information at (608) 261-8771 or via email.

1098-T Tax Forms

The 1098-T tax form is used to substantiate tuition paid when filing your 2016 taxes. Recently, the bankruptcy trustee was authorized to enter into a contract with Heartland ECSI to provide former ITT students with 1098-T tax forms. You may request a copy of your 1098-T directly from Heartland ECSI.