2017 Wisconsin Act 278, beginning August 1, 2018, prior to submitting an application for a credential, an individual may apply to the Department for a determination of whether the individual would be disqualified from obtaining the credential due to his or her conviction record. To apply for a predetermination, please fill out
Form #3085 and submit all required documentation specified on the form. Pursuant to
Wis. Stat. §
111.335(4)(e), the offenses or kinds of offenses that may result in a refusal, bar, or termination of licensure are published under Additional Resources on the left side of this page.
Pursuant to 2017 Wisconsin Act 319, beginning August 1, 2018, an applicant for an initial credential may apply for a reduction of the initial credential fee that is equal to 10% of the initial fee. Qualification is based on the federal adjusted gross income being at or below 180% of the federal poverty guideline prescribed for the applicant's family household size by the United States Department of Health and Human Services. To determine eligibility please visit the United States Department of Health and Human Services website at https://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty-guidelines, prior to submitting Form 3217.
Wis. Stat. § 440.08 (2), the required renewal date for the Substance Abuse Counselor credential is 02/28/odd years. Should you receive your initial credential in the months leading up to this date, you are still required to renew your license by the statutorily defined date.
2017 Wisconsin Act 262, as of May 1, 2018, the requirements to obtain a Substance Abuse Counselor credential have changed.
Per Wisconsin State Statutes 440.08 (2), the required renewal date for the Certified Public Accountant credential is December 14th of each odd-numbered year. Should you receive your initial credential in the months leading up to this date, you are still required to renew your license by the statutorily defined date.
Complete 360 hours of specialized education
in substance use disorder through a post secondary institution or department approved education program.
- Complete and submit Application for Substance Abuse Counselor including all required documentation and pay required fee.
- DSPS reviews application and makes applicant eligible for the National Association for Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors (NAADC) examination. Examinations may be taken after completion of education, before experience is completed.
- Successful completion of required examinations.
- Submit verification of completion of 3,000 hours of work experience performing the 8 practice dimensions as a Substance Abuse Counselor, supervised as described in (Form #2749), within 5 years immediately preceding the date of application. 3,000 hours of work experience shall include the following:
- 1,000 hours in substance use disorder counseling with at least 500 hours is a one-on-one individual modality setting.
- A minimum of 200 hours of counseling during the 12 month period immediately proceeding the date of application, of which 100 hours shall have been completed using individual modality setting.
Pre-Credential Education Information
- Complete 360 hours of Substance use disorder specialized education through a post secondary institution or a department approved education program.
Educators: To apply for approval of a 360-hour comprehensive program, see application procedure:
Form 2848 - Application Instructions
Form 2784 - Course Application Information
- The training shall be in a comprehensive program or degree program approved by the Department, except for those having an accumulation of 100 or more hours as of March 1, 2007. An applicant who previously held a certificate from the Wisconsin Certification Board and can provide documentation of accumulation of 100 or more hours of approved specialized education as of March 1, 2007, may submit proof of completion of the balance of the 360 hours from sources other than a comprehensive program.
Application for Licensure
2743||Application for Substance Abuse Counselor|
|3217||Application for Fee Reduction (This form must accompany the application for the credential)|
2749||Affidavit Regarding Supervised Experience |
|2786||Application for out-of-state Reciprocity|
3079||Certificate of Completion of Dept. Approved Comprehensive Substance Abuse Education Program (360 Hour Program) For applicants who have completed a Department approved 360 hour program|
|2841 ||Education and Training Form for applicants who have completed 360 hours of specialized education|
|3222||Re-Registration Application for Substance Abuse Professionals (For credentials expired five (5) years or more)|
2829||Malpractice Suits or Claims Form (If applicable)|
|3085||Application for Predetermination|
2252||Convictions and Pending Charges|
||Fax Payment Form|