Advanced Practice Nurse Prescriber


Pursuant to 2017 Wisconsin Act 278, beginning August 1, 2018, prior to submitting an application for a credential, an individual may apply to the Department for a determination of whether the individual would be disqualified from obtaining the credential due to his or her conviction record. To apply for a predetermination, please fill out Form 3085 and submit all required documentation specified on the form. Pursuant to Wis. Stat. § 111.335(4)(e), the offenses or kinds of offenses that may result in a refusal, bar, or termination of licensure are published under Additional Resources on the left side of this page.

License Information

Fee Reduction​

Pursuant to 2017 Wisconsin Act 319, beginning August 1, 2018, an applicant for an initial credential may apply for a reduction of the initial credential fee that is equal to 10% of the initial fee. Qualification is based on the federal adjusted gross income being at or below 180% of the federal poverty guideline prescribed for the applicant's family household size by the United States Department of Health and Human Services. To determine eligibility please visit the United States Department of Health and Human Services website prior to submitting Form 3217.

Per Wis. Stat. § 440.08(2), the required renewal date for the Advanced Practice Nurse Prescriber credential is 09/30/even years. Should you receive your initial credential in the months leading up to this date, you are still required to renew your license by the statutorily defined date.  

Must provide evidence of holding a current license to practice as a professional nurse in this state or has a current license to practice professional nursing in another state which has adopted the nurse licensure compact.  Please Note: Applicants may apply for the Advanced Practice Nurse Prescriber (APNP) certification and the Registered Nurse (RN) license simultaneously.

Pre-Credential Education Information

Must be certified by a national certifying body approved by the Board as a nurse practitioner, certified nurse-midwife, certified registered nurse anesthetist or clinical nurse specialist.

For applicants who receive national certification as a nurse practitioner, certified nurse-midwife, certified registered nurse anesthetist or clinical nurse specialist after July 1, 1998, the registered nurse must hold a master's or doctoral degree in nursing or a related health field granted by a college or university accredited by a regional accrediting agency approved by the board of education in the state in which the college or university is located. See Form 2923 for Board-Approved Certifying Bodies.

An applicant must complete and submit proof of at least 45 contact hours in clinical pharmacology/therapeutics including title of course, number of pharmacology hours per course and date of completion (a photocopy of the page of a transcript that contains the 3 credit course is acceptable). This must be completed within 5 years preceding the date of application for the certificate.

Application for Licensure

2124Application for Certification As an Advanced Practice Nurse Prescriber
​Application for Fee Reduction (If applying for a fee reduction, this form must accompany the application for the credential.)
​2151​Important Application Information for Advanced Practice Nurse Prescriber
2157Certification Form for Advanced Practice Nurse Prescriber Who Do Not Carry Personal Liability Insurance Coverage (Complete this form if you do not carry personal liability insurance coverage.)
2367Certification of Master's or Doctoral Degree
2829Malpractice Suits or Claims Form (if applicable)
​3085​Application for Predetermination (Submit only if you have been convicted of any felony, misdemeanor, or other violations of federal, state, or local law, including municipal ordinances, in this state or any other)
2252​Convictions and Pending Charges
3071​Fax Payment Form

Renewal Information


  • FEE (See Renewal Dates and Fees)
  • SIG (Signature regarding the completion of Continuing Education, included in on-line renewal and paper form - see Continuing Education Information for details)
  • INS (Current liability insurance, if renewing via paper form you must also submit form 2915)
  • NTL (Current national certification or Continuous Competence Assessment (CCA) Cycle, if renewing via paper form you must also submit form 2915) 
  • If your legal status as a qualified alien or nonimmigrant lawfully present in the United States has changed since the issuance of your credential or your last renewal, please contact the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services at (608) 266-2112 or

Renewal Methods


Renewal Dates and Fees
R210​​Active Duty/Discharge Renewal Extension​
Additional Requirements for Renewal​
Wisconsin Act 210 (effective June 1, 2012)

This Act extends the license of​ a service member if the license expires while they are on active duty from 90 days to 180 days from the date of discharge. The same applies to a spouse of a service member if the spouse does not practice under their license while the service member is on active duty and does not practice because the service member is on active duty.

This Act repeals a provision of prior law that required a service member to meet all of the requirements for license extension or renewal, except for continuing education requirements, in order to have the license extended.

Service members and spouses may request extensions of licenses beyond 180 days from discharge and may request a waiver or extension of time to complete continuing education requirements due to hardship. Please view Active Duty/Discharge Renewal Extension Form R​210 for further information. ​