Physician Assistant

License Information

Per Wisconsin State Statutes 440.08 (2), the required renewal date for the Physician Assistant credential is 02/28 or 29/even years.  Should you receive your initial credential in the months leading up to this date, you are still required to renew your license by the statutorily defined date.

Temporary License (only applicable to new graduates waiting to sit for the PANCE exam)

An applicant for permanent licensure may apply for a temporary license at the same time by paying both fees and meeting the following conditions

  • Graduate from an approved educational program for physician assistants AND be scheduled to take the national examination OR awaiting examination results
  • Complete and submit Application for Licensure as a Physician Assistant
  • Complete and submit Request for Temporary License for Physician Assistant

Pre-Credential Education Information

Graduate from an approved educational program for physician assistants. The Medical Examining Board only approves educational programs accredited and approved by the committee on allied health education and accreditation of the American Medical Association.  The Medical Examining Board only approves accredited educational programs and recognizes accreditation by the following agencies: American Medical Association (AMA), AMA Council on Medical Education, Committee on Allied Education and Accreditation (CAHEA), Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP).

Application for Licensure (including for a license expired 5 or more years)

580Application for Licensure as a Physician Assistant
1504Physician Assistant Certificate of Professional Education (this must come directly from the school)
1512Request for temporary License for Physician Assistant (for new graduates only)
2829Malpractice Suits or Claims Form (if applicable)
2252​Convictions and Pending Charges
3071​Fax Payment Form
2594​Change in Supervising Physician Form
​2147​Physician Requirements and Guidelines
2450​​The Amphetamine Rule

Renewal Information 


  • FEE (See Renewal Dates and Fees)
  • SIG (Signature regarding current Supervising Physician.  Supervisor must have an active WI physician license.)
  • If your legal status as a qualified alien or nonimmigrant lawfully present in the United States has changed since the issuance of your credential or your last renewal, please contact the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services at (608) 266-2112 or

Renewal Methods

  • Online Log In: License Renewal Online
  • Request a Paper Renewal Form: (888) 506‑4239 or (608) 261‑4460 for the Madison area
RDAFRenewal Dates and Fees
R210Active Duty/Discharge Renewal Extension

Wisconsin Act 210 (effective June 1, 2012) 

This Act extends the license of a service member if the license expires while they are on active duty from 90 days to 180 days from the date of discharge. The same applies to a spouse of a service member if the spouse does not practice under their license while the service member is on active duty and does not practice because the service member is on active duty.

This Act repeals a provision of prior law that required a service member to meet all of the requirements for license extension or renewal, except for continuing education requirements, in order to have the license extended.

Service members and spouses may request extensions of licenses beyond 180 days from discharge and may request a waiver or extension of time to complete continuing education requirements due to hardship. Please view Active Duty/Discharge Renewal Extension Form #R210 for further information.