Speech-Language Pathologist

License Information

Per Wis. Stat. § 440.08 (2), the required renewal date for the Speech Language Pathologist credential is 01/31/odd years.  Should you receive your initial credential in the months leading up to this date, you are still required to renew your license by the statutorily defined date.

An applicant must complete the postgraduate clinical fellowship in speech-language pathology.

Before commencing a postgraduate clinical fellowship, an applicant must obtain a temporary license under Wis. Stat. § 459.24(6). The applicant must submit an application with all supporting documents and fees, including evidence satisfactory to the board that the applicant has completed one of the following:

  • A supervised clinical practicum and received a master's degree in speech-language pathology from a college or university approved by the board.
  • Education or training that the board determines is substantially equivalent to the completion of the requirements under subd. 1. 

If applying for a temporary license to practice speech-language pathology, an application to take the next available examination for licensure as a speech-language pathologist required under s. 459.26 (2) (a), Stats.

A temporary license is valid for a period designated by the board, not to exceed 18 months and may be renewed once for 18 months or longer, at the discretion of the board.

Pre-Credential Education Information

Complete a supervised clinical practicum and receive a master's degree in speech-language pathology from a college or university approved by the examining board or complete education or training that the board determines is substantially equivalent to the completion of those requirements. Equivalency Requirements

Application for Licensure

1987Application For Licensure to Practice Speech-Language Pathology
1984Speech-Language Pathology Certificate of Professional Education Form (This form must be completed by your school)
1979Application for Temporary License to Practice Speech Language Pathology
1976Request for Verification of Certification Form (Complete and forward to the American Speech-Language Hearing Association)
2829Malpractice Suits or Claims Form (if applicable)
2252​Convictions and Pending Charges
3071​Fax Payment Form

Renewal Information


  • FEE (See Renewal Dates and Fees)
  • SIG (Signature regarding the completion of Continuing Education, included in on-line renewal and paper form - see Continuing Education Information for details)
  • If your legal status as a qualified alien or nonimmigrant lawfully present in the United States has changed since the issuance of your credential or your last renewal, please contact the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services at 608-266-2112 or dsps@wisconsin.gov.

Renewal Methods

  • Online Log In: License Renewal Online
  • Request a Paper Renewal Form: (888) 506‑4239 or (608) 261‑4460 for the Madison area
RDAFRenewal Dates and Fees
R210Active Duty/Discharge Renewal Extension

Wisconsin Act 210 (effective June 1, 2012)

This Act extends the license of a service member if the license expires while they are on active duty from 90 days to 180 days from the date of discharge. The same applies to a spouse of a service member if the spouse does not practice under their license while the service member is on active duty and does not practice because the service member is on active duty.

This Act repeals a provision of prior law that required a service member to meet all of the requirements for license extension or renewal, except for continuing education requirements, in order to have the license extended.

Service members and spouses may request extensions of licenses beyond 180 days from discharge and may request a waiver or extension of time to complete continuing education requirements due to hardship.  Please view Active Duty/Discharge Renewal Extension Form #R210.