Now Live: Easier Online License Applications and Renewals!
LicensE is your online, self-guided occupational license application platform.
Please review the helpful links below:
- Find step-by-step instruction for license renewal here.
- Find a list of license renewals available via LicensE in the chart on the LicensE Customer Information page.
- Find all licenses available via LicensE, plus user guides and other resources, on the LicensE Customer Information page.
- Anyone applying for an initial license for any of the credentials listed can apply at license.wi.gov.
Our LicensE Application Status Lookup tool makes it easier for employees, and helps academic advisors support students during the license application process. To access the Application Status Lookup tool, you will need the applicant's 10-digit PAR number. An applicant may provide the number to anyone who could support their application. Find more information in our news release about this tool.
Temporary Act 10 Credential
A health care provider credentialed in good standing in another state may apply for a temporary credential to provide services in Wisconsin while a Wisconsin application for a permanent credential is pending. See information sheet 2021-A101, Form 2021-A102: Health Care Employer Notification, and our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for further details.
Wis. Stat. § 440.08 (2), the required renewal date for the Licensed Clinical Social Worker credential is 02/28/ each odd-number year. Should you receive your initial credential in the months leading up to this date, you are still required to renew your license by the statutorily defined date.
- Upon completion of education and after receiving certification as an advanced practice social worker or as an independent social worker, engage in at least 3000 hours of supervised clinical social work practice, including at least 1,000 hours of face-to-face client contact and including DSM diagnosis and treatment of individuals.
- Supervised clinical social work hours obtained in another state may be accepted towards the 3000 hours requirement.
- Clinical social work practice must be completed under the supervision of a supervisor approved by the Social Worker Section.
- Board reviews application and determines eligibility to sit for the national
ASWB exam. The exam for this level is called the ASWB Clinical Examination.
ASWB to register for the national exam.
An applicant for permanent certification may apply for a temporary certificate at the same time.
The temporary certificate may be issued to an individual who pays the required fee and meets all the qualifications for the permanent certificate except for passing the required national examination. The temporary credential expires upon notification of successful completion of the national examination or expiration of the 9 month period, whichever is earlier.
Applicants with a current credential in another jurisdiction may view reciprocity information here.
Applicants for licensure must have received a master's degree in social work from a program accredited by, or a pre-accreditation program of, the Council on Social Work Education or a doctoral degree in social work and, either as part of the master's or doctorate degree program or in post graduate studies, had a
clinical social work concentration and completed supervised clinical field training.
Application for Licensure
2681||Credentialing Information for Licensed Clinical Social Worker Applicants|
|4211||Information for Social Work Application Completion|
|Application for Fee Reduction (If applying for a fee reduction, this form must accompany the LicensE application for the credential.)|
2673||Clinical Course Work for Social Work License (When submitting this form, you must also request a transcript directly from your school).|
2672||Documentation of Clinical Field Placement or Supervised Clinical Work Experience for Clinical Social Worker License |
2560||Documentation of Post-Graduate Clinical Experience - Supervisor's Affidavit|
|2771||Summary of Post-graduate Experience Hours for Clinical Social Work License (Submit with Form #2560)|
2829||Malpractice Suits or Claims Form (If applicable)|
3085||Application for Predetermination (Optional-Submit ONLY if you have been convicted of any felony, misdemeanor, or other violations of federal or state law in this state or any other and you desire a review of your conviction record before applying for a credential.)|
||Convictions and Pending Charges (if applicable)|
|3219||Information for Licensed Clinical Social Worker Late Renewal Applicants (For credentials expired five (5) years or more)|