Social Worker - Licensed Clinical

Now Live: Easier Online License Applications and ​Renewals!

​LicensE is your online, self-guided occupational license application platform. 

Please review the helpful links below:

  • Find step-by-step instruction for license renewal here.
  • Find a list of license renewals available via LicensE in the chart on the LicensE Customer Information page.
  • Find all licenses available via LicensE, plus user guides and other resources, on the LicensE Customer Information page.
  • Anyone applying for an initial license for any of the credentials listed can apply at

Our LicensE Application Status Lookup tool makes it easier for employees, and helps academic advisors support students during the license application process. To access the Application Status Lookup tool, you will need the applicant's 10-digit PAR number. An applicant may provide the number to anyone who could support their application. Find more information in our news release about this tool. ​​

​License Information

Per Wis. Stat. § 440.08 (2), the required renewal date for the Licensed Clinical Social Worker credential is 02/28/ each odd-number year.  Should you receive your initial credential in the months leading up to this date, you are still required to renew your license by the statutorily defined date.


  • Upon completion of education and after receiving certification as an advanced practice social worker or as an independent social worker, engage in at least 3000 hours of supervised clinical social work practice, including at least 1,000 hours of face-to-face client contact and including DSM diagnosis and treatment of individuals.
    • Supervised clinical social work hours obtained in another state may be accepted towards the 3000 hours requirement.
    • Clinical social work practice must be completed under the supervision of a supervisor approved by the Social Worker Section.
  • Board reviews application and determines eligibility to sit for the national ASWB exam. The exam for this level is called the ASWB Clinical Examination.
  • Contact ASWB to register for the national exam.

Temporary License

An applicant for permanent certification may apply for a temporary certificate at the same time.

The temporary certificate may be issued to an individual who pays the required fee and meets all the qualifications for the permanent certificate except for passing the required national examination. The temporary credential expires upon notification of successful completion of the national examination or expiration of the 9 month period, whichever is earlier.


​Applicants with a current credential in another jurisdiction may view reciprocity information here​

Pre-Credential​ Education

Applicants for licensure must have received a master's degree in social work from a program accredited by, or a pre-accreditation program of, the Council on Social Work Education or a doctoral degree in social work and, either as part of the master's or doctorate degree program or in post graduate studies, had a clinical social work concentration and completed supervised clinical field training.

Application for Licensure

2681Credentialing Information for Licensed Clinical Social Worker Applicants
4211​Information for Social Work Application Completion


​​Application for Fee Reduction (If applying for a fee reduction, this form must accompany the LicensE application for the credential.)
2673​Clinical Course Work for Social Work License (When submitting this form, you must also request a transcript directly from your school).
2672​Documentation of Clinical Field Placement or Supervised Clinical Work Experience for Clinical Social Worker License
​2560Documentation of Post-Graduate Clinical Experience - Supervisor's Affidavit
2771​Summary of Post-graduate Experience Hours for Clinical Social Work License (Submit with Form #2560)
2829Malpractice Suits or Claims Form (If applicable)
​3085​Application for Predetermination (Optional-Submit ONLY if you have been convicted of any felony, misdemeanor, or other violations of federal or state law in this state or any other and you desire a review of your conviction record before applying for a credential.)​

​Convictions and Pending Charges​ (if applicable)
​Information for Licensed Clinical Social Worker Late Renewal Applicants (For credentials expired five (5) years or more)​

Renewal Information


  • FEE (See Renewal Dates and Fees)
  • SIG (Signature regarding the completion of Continuing Education, included in online renewal. See Continuing Education Information for details.)
  • If your legal status as a qualified alien or nonimmigrant lawfully present in the United States has changed since the issuance of your credential or your last renewal, please contact the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services at (608) 266-2112 or

Renewal Method

RDAFRenewal Dates and Fees
​Convictions and Pending Charges (if applicable for renewal)​
R210Active Duty/Discharge Renewal Extension

​Wisconsin Act 210 (effective June 1, 2012)

This Act extends the license of a service member if the license expires while they are on active duty from 90 days to 180 days from the date of discharge. The same applies to a spouse of a service member if the spouse does not practice under their license while the service member is on active duty and does not practice because the service member is on active duty.

This Act repeals a provision of prior law that required a service member to meet all of the requirements for license extension or renewal, except for continuing education requirements, in order to have the license extended.

Service members and spouses may request extensions of licenses beyond 180 days from discharge and may request a waiver or extension of time to complete continuing education requirements due to hardship.  Please view Active Duty/Discharge Renewal Extension Form #R210.