Now Live: Easier Online License Applications and Renewals!
LicensE is your online, self-guided occupational license application platform.
Please review the helpful links below:
- Find step-by-step instruction for license renewal here.
- Find a list of license renewals available via LicensE in the chart on the LicensE Customer Information page.
- Find all licenses available via LicensE, plus user guides and other resources, on the LicensE Customer Information page.
- Anyone applying for an initial license for any of the credentials listed can apply at license.wi.gov.
Our LicensE Application Status Lookup tool makes it easier for employees, and helps academic advisors support students during the license application process. To access the Application Status Lookup tool, you will need the applicant's 10-digit PAR number. An applicant may provide the number to anyone who could support their application. Find more information in our news release about this tool.
Wis. Stat. § 440.08 (2), the required renewal date for the Cosmetology School credential is 03/31/ each odd-numbered year. Should you receive your initial credential in the months leading up to this date, you are still required to renew your license by the statutorily defined date.
Schools of barbering, cosmetology, aesthetics, electrology or manicuring needing designation as a postsecondary institution for purposes of federal Title IV funding need to complete the Addendum to Application (Form #5555). The form must include proof of an admissions policy that requires applicants to possess a high school diploma, GED, HSED or apply through a dual-enrollment/dual-credit program in compliance with Wis. Stat. § 118.55. Upon receipt and review of the form and accompanying documentation, a license will be issued indicating the designation.
For questions regarding federal Title IV funding, please refer to the
U.S. Department of Education's Office of Postsecondary Institution or contact them at
Update: One-Hour Course Review
Pursuant to 2017 Wisconsin Act 81, all one-hour courses for endorsement applicants on Wisconsin Statutes and Administrative Code relating to the practice of Cosmetology should be submitted for review to DSPSExaminationsOffice@wisconsin.gov.
Application for Licensure
|School or Specialty School Credential Application Information - Initial and Renewal
|Addendum to Application - Post-Secondary Education Recognition
|School or Specialty School Bond
|Required Contents for School Catalogs
|Required Contents for Student Contracts
Application by Reinstatement (License Expired One or More Years)
To renew a Cosmetology School license that has been expired one or more years submit a complete application including:
- All information required for a new license
- If any courses were taught after the expiration date of the school's license, submit a statement including:
- The dates that courses were provided
- The names and addresses of instructors teaching the courses
- The names and addresses of students in attendance
- The number of hours of training in each topic that each student received
- $36.00 reinstatement fee