Professional Hydrologist

Now Live: Easier Online License Applications and ​Renewals!

​LicensE is your online, self-guided occupational license application platform. 

Please review the helpful links below:

  • Find step-by-step instruction for license renewal here.
  • Find a list of license renewals available via LicensE in the chart on the LicensE Customer Information page.
  • Find all licenses available via LicensE, plus user guides and other resources, on the LicensE Customer Information page.
  • Anyone applying for an initial license for any of the credentials listed can apply at

Our LicensE Application Status Lookup tool makes it easier for employees, and helps academic advisors support students during the license application process. To access the Application Status Lookup tool, you will need the applicant's 10-digit PAR number. An applicant may provide the number to anyone who could support their application. Find more information in our news release about this tool. ​​

License Information​​

Per Wis. Stat. § 440.08 (2), the required renewal date for the Hydrologist credential is 07/31/even years. Should you receive your initial credential in the months leading up to this date, you are still required to renew your license by the statutorily defined date.

Pre-Credential Education Information

Applicants must have professional experience in hydrologic work, as described in Wis. Admin. Code § GHSS 3.03, of a character satisfactory to the examining board which demonstrates that the applicant is qualified to assume responsible charge of hydrology work. This experience shall be at least:

  • 5 years, of which at least 2 years has been performed under the supervision of a person who is registered as a professional hydrologist in Wisconsin, or in another state or territory or possession of the United States, or in another country that has registration requirements for professional hydrologists that are substantially equivalent to the requirements in Wisconsin, or any other person determined to be qualified to have responsible charge of hydrologic work, OR
  • 7 years, (or 6 years with an advanced degree) with a satisfactory evaluation of the last 2 years of the experience under a peer review system approved by the Professional Hydrologist Section of the board.

One year of experience may be granted if an individual has one or more advanced degrees, approved by the examining board, in geology, geophysics, geochemistry, hydrogeology, engineering geology, geotechnical engineering, or a related geological science or a closely related field.

An applicant must have a bachelor degree reflecting that the applicant has completed at least 30 semester hours or 45 quarter hours of course credits in hydrology or water resources of a variety and nature sufficient to constitute a major in hydrology, granted by a college or university accredited by a regional accrediting agency approved by the state board of education in the state in which the college or university is located, or accredited by a Canadian accrediting agency satisfactory to the board.

Application for Licensure

All new applicants must submit Application for Fundamentals and Principles and Practice Examinations (Form #2452) all supporting documents and fee to the Department to determine eligibility for the exam.

2452Information for Fundamentals and Principles and Practice Examinations
2084​Information for Geologist, Hydrologist, or Soil Scientist License
​3217​Application for Fee Reduction (If applying for a fee reduction, this form must accompany the application for the credential.)
2392Experience Record
2849Peer Review Evaluation Form
2913Supervised Experience Evaluation Form
2400Supplemental Form
2086​Applicant Appraisal Form (5 Appraisal Forms Required)
2391​Verification of Examination or Registration
​3085​Application for Predetermination (Optional-Submit ONLY if you have been convicted of any felony, misdemeanor, or other violations of federal or state law in this state or any other and you desire a review of your conviction record before applying for a credential.)​
2252​Convictions and Pending Charges (if applicable)

Application for Late Renewal (License Expired Five Years or More)

​Instructions for Late Renewal (License Expired Five Years or More)
2723Applicant Appraisal Form for Late Renewal (3 Appraisal Forms Required)
(License Expired Five Years or More)
2392Experience Record
2391​​Verification of Examination or Registration

Renewal Information


  • FEE (See Renewal Dates and Fees)
  • If your legal status as a qualified alien or nonimmigrant lawfully present in the United States has changed since the issuance of your credential or your last renewal, please contact the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services at (608) 266-2112 or

Renewal Method

RDAFRenewal Dates and Fees
​Convictions and Pending Charges (if applicable for renewal)
​R210​Active Duty/Discharge Renewal Extension

Wisconsin Act 210 (effective June 1, 2012)

This Act extends the license of a service member if the license expires while they are on active duty from 90 days to 180 days from the date of discharge. The same applies to a spouse of a service member if the spouse does not practice under their license while the service member is on active duty and does not practice because the service member is on active duty.

This Act repeals a provision of prior law that required a service member to meet all of the requirements for license extension or renewal, except for continuing education requirements, in order to have the license extended.

Service members and spouses may request extensions of licenses beyond 180 days from discharge and may request a waiver or extension of time to complete continuing education requirements due to hardship. Please view Active Duty/Discharge Renewal Extension Form #R210.