Wisconsin State Statutes 440.08 (2), the required renewal date for the Licensed Practical Nurse credential is 04/30/odd years. Should you receive your initial credential in the months leading up to this date, you are still required to renew your license by the statutorily defined date.
OLAS (Online Licensure Application System) is available to WI Board of Nursing-approved schools only.
You must also register for the
Temporary Permit and Examination
Licensure By Endorsement (Applicant who Holds an Active License in Another State)
Nurse Refresher Course Information (for Endorsement or Re-Registration Applicants - this does not apply to Exam applicants)
- An applicant, who does not have current nursing education or has not been employed in a position that requires a nursing license within the last five (5) years, may apply to the Board for a limited license to enable the applicant to complete a nursing refresher course(s) approved by the Board. Upon successful completion of an approved nursing refresher course(s), the license holder may petition the Board for full licensure. Board Approved Nursing Refresher Courses can be found below
Information for Providers
To have a nursing refresher course considered for approval, it is necessary to submit the course curriculum along with a completed and signed request form, Request for Approval of a Nursing Refresher Course, Form 3066OEE. If the course is approved, it will be added to the list of approved nursing refresher courses posted to the DSPS website (please see web links to lists below).
NCLEX Annual Pass Rates
Wisconsin Administrative Code Chapter N 1.09 lists information and requirements for meeting NCLEX pass rate standards for professional nursing schools and practical nursing schools.
PLEASE NOTE: The Board of Nursing shall consider both the Registered Nurse (RN) NCLEX and Practical Nurse (PN) NCLEX annual pass rates when evaluating a school of professional nursing that grants a certificate of completion for practical nursing.
2017 NCLEX Pass Rates - Board Approved RN Schools
2017 NCLEX Pass Rates - Board Approved PN Schools
Pre-Credential Education Information
Completion of 2 years of high school or its equivalent and diploma from accredited school for licensed practical nurses approved by board.
Nursing School/Education Information
- Form 1004 - Clinical Facility Selection and Simulated Setting Experiences
- Form 1114 - Faculty/Educational Administrator Qualification Record
- Form 2662 - Request For Faculty Exception
- Form 3025 - Request For Authorization to Plan a Nursing School
- Form 3027 - Request For Authorization to Admit Students to a Nursing School
- Form 3028 - Nursing Program Self-Evaluation Report for Continuation of Approval
(Due to DSPS by 1/31/18)
- Form 3029 - Nursing School Self-Evaluation Report for Initial Board of Nursing Approval
- Form 3031 - Guidelines for Nursing School Approval and Refresher Course Approval
- Form 3067OEE - Request for Approval of Out-of-State School of Nursing
- Form 3069OEE - Out-of-State Nursing School Self-Evaluation Report for Continuation of Approval
(Due to DSPS by 1/31/18)
Application for Licensure
OLAS (Online Licensure Application System) Exam applicants from WI Board of Nursing-approved schools only
|3087||Application for Registered Nurse/Licensed Practical Nurse Licensure |
|3210||Applicant's with a current Registered Nurse/Licensed Practical Nurse single-state Wisconsin license|
|2434||Temporary Permit Request For Registered Nurse or Licensed Practical Nurse Exam candidates only.|
|259||WI Board-Approved Statement of Graduation or Completion Exam candidates graduating from WI Board-approved schools only.|
|3049||Wisconsin Act 114 Certificate of Approval to take Examination Exam candidates only. (Only needed if requesting permission to take NCLEX prior to completion of nursing program.)|
|1055||Professional Nurse Retake Application for Licensure by Examination You must also re-register with NCLEX.|
|2829||Malpractice Suits or Claims Form (if applicable)|
|Authorization for Release of FBI Information|
|2252||Convictions and Pending Charges|
|3071||Fax Payment Form|