Wis. Stat. § 440.08 (2), the required renewal date for the Registered Nurse credential is 02/28 or 2/29/even years. Should you receive your initial credential in the months leading up to this date, you are still required to renew your license by the statutorily defined date.
OLAS (Online Licensure Application System) is available to WI Board of Nursing-approved schools only.
Exam Applicants: You must also register for the
To be eligible for a WI multi-state
license, your primary state of residency must be Wisconsin or
you must indicate on the application that you plan on moving to
Temporary Permit and Examination
Before sitting for the examination, an applicant may receive a temporary permit. Completion of all requirements, except examination, submittal of Form 2434
and payment of a $10.00 fee are required to receive a temporary permit.
The temporary permit allows the applicant to practice practical nursing under the direct supervision of a registered nurse until a credential is granted. A temporary permit is valid for a period of three months or until the holder receives failing examination results, whichever is shorter. A temporary permit may be renewed once for an additional three-month period.
Licensure By Endorsement (Applicant who Holds an
Active License in Another State)
To be eligible for a WI multi-state license, your primary state of residency must be Wisconsin or you must indicate on the application that you plan on moving to Wisconsin.
Verification of their initial state license and a current state license is required. If initial state license is still active only one license verification is needed. If the license(s) needed are verifiable through NURSYS (i.e. the states that participate in the NURSYS Nurse Licensure Verification Service), the applicant should not need a temporary permit. Endorsement applicants can apply for a temporary permit only if the initial exam state or current state of licensure does not participate in NURSYS license verification.
Nurse Refresher Course Information (for Endorsement or Re-Registration Applicants
this does not apply to Exam applicants)
- An applicant, who does not have current nursing education or has not been employed in a position that requires a nursing license within the last five (5) years, may apply to the Board for a limited license to enable the applicant to complete a nursing refresher course(s) approved by the Board. Upon successful completion of an approved nursing refresher course(s), the license holder may petition the Board for full licensure. Board Approved Nursing Refresher Courses can be found below.
Information for Providers
- To have a nursing refresher course considered for approval, it is necessary to submit the course curriculum along with a completed and signed request form, Request for Approval of a Nursing Refresher Course, Form 3066OEE. If the course is approved, it will be added to the list of approved nursing refresher courses posted to the DSPS website (please see web links to lists below).
NCLEX Annual Pass Rates
Wisconsin Administrative Code Chapter N 1.09 lists information and requirements for meeting NCLEX pass rate standards for professional nursing schools and practical nursing schools.
Please Note: The Board of Nursing shall consider both the Registered Nurse (RN) NCLEX and Practical Nurse (PN) NCLEX annual pass rates when evaluating a school of professional nursing that grants a certificate of completion for practical nursing.
2017 NCLEX Pass Rates - Board Approved RN Schools
2017 NCLEX Pass Rates - Board Approved PN Schools
Pre-Credential Education Information
Completion of high school or its equivalent and diploma from accredited school of nursing approved by board.
- If you are applying for RN licensure by examination through completion of the Pre-MSN basic nursing requirements, there is no guarantee that you will be eligible for an RN license in other states. Graduates of non-U.S. schools: Successful completion of a qualifying examination is required.
Nursing School/Education Information
- Form 1004 - Clinical Facility Selection and Simulated Setting Experiences
- Form 1114 - Faculty/Educational Administrator Qualification Record
- Form 2662 - Request For Faculty Exception
- Form 3025 - Request For Authorization to Plan a Nursing School
- Form 3027 - Request For Authorization to Admit Students to a Nursing School
- Form 3028 - Nursing Program Self-Evaluation Report for Continuation of Approval
(Due to DSPS by 1/31/18)
- Form 3029 - Nursing School Self-Evaluation Report for Initial Board of Nursing Approval
- Form 3031 - Guidelines for Nursing School Approval and Refresher Course Approval
- Form 3067OEE - Request for Approval of Out-of-State School of Nursing
- Form 3069OEE - Out-of-State
Nursing School Self-Evaluation Report for Continuation of Approval
(Due to DSPS by 1/31/18)
Effective December 11, 2017 Wisconsin joined the Enhanced Nurse Licensure Compact (eNLC).
Frequently Asked Questions - Enhanced Nurse Licensure Compact
The Interstate Commission of Nurse Licensure Compact Administrators - Final Rules
Application for Licensure
OLAS (Online Licensure Application System) Exam applicants from WI Board of Nursing-approved schools only
|3087||Application for Registered Nurse/Licensed Practical Nurse Licensure |
|3210||Applicant's with a current Registered Nurse/Licensed Practical Nurse single-state Wisconsin license|
|2434||Temporary Permit Request For Registered Nurse or Licensed Practical Nurse Exam candidates only.|
|259||WI Board-Approved Statement of Graduation or Completion Exam candidates graduating from WI Board-approved schools only.|
|3049||Wisconsin Act 114 Certificate of Approval to take Examination Exam candidates only. (Only needed if requesting permission to take NCLEX prior to completion of nursing program.)|
|1055||Professional Nurse Retake Application for Licensure by Examination You must also re-register with NCLEX.|
|2829||Malpractice Suits or Claims Form (If applicable)|
|2687||Authorization for Release of FBI Information|
|2252||Convictions and Pending Charges|
|3071||Fax Payment Form|